Just bought my First Mac!!, Some questions:

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iTsKemez, Oct 20, 2010.

1. iTsKemez macrumors newbie

Hi fellow forumers:

I just got my macbook pro 13inch yesterday
    So far i am loving it a lot!, but i am confused on some things

1. how do i tell whats the operating system i am running? like how much GB i have remanning
    whats my system specs?
    should i purchase Microsoft word or can i download it somewhere?

What are some important/useful programs to have for mac?

What is Lion OX? or OS?

Thanks in advance!

2. MaxwellIreland macrumors member

Didn't you look at the specs before you bought it?

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

:apple: > About This Mac
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Should be noted on your receipt or on the side of the box it came with or in the email confirming the order or :apple: > About This Mac > More Info or ....​

Do you need it? Can iWork suffice? As far as downloading goes, I don't know, but talking about WAREZ is not really welcome here.​

Mac OS X is the name for Apple's Operating System family for Macintosh computers. Currently we are at Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard, Mac OS X 10.7 is called Lion and will be released in summer 2011.

Also have a look at the following links to learn more about Mac OS X:

And MRoogle is a good tool to search these fora for already existing threads about questions you have. It might be able to answer you quicker than creating a thread.

4. jeffspc88mx macrumors newbie

1. how do i tell whats the operating system i am running? like how much GB i have remanning
    whats my system specs?

***Under the Apple logo in the upper left corner is a menu, select the menu item called "About This Mac..." This alone will tell you your OS and total RAM installed. For more details, there's a button labeled "More info..."

should i purchase Microsoft word or can i download it somewhere?
    ***You have to buy it

What are some important/useful programs to have for mac?
    ***You should already have iLife installed, so explore that. Safari is your web browser. Mail can be your e-mail program, but a lot of people buy another type (I use Mail). Look into getting a MobileMe subscription - it's not essential, but it has some nice features and costs $80/yr. If you're into gaming, Steam is available.

What is Lion OX? or OS?
    ***OS stands for Operating System. The version number for Mac OS has been "10", or X, for some time now. Mac OS versions are named after the big cats. Lion is the not-yet-released next version of the OS, which will come out next year sometime. You're currently running Snow Leopard (v. 10.6.x) I'm not sure what Apple will do when they run out of cats (12.5 - Domestic shorthair?)

5. yetanotherdave macrumors 68000

yetanotherdave

http://www.simplehelp.net/images/findersize/ffs1.jpg

You can't post a screenshot showing the filename "coolest picture ever.jpg" and NOT SHOW US THE COOLEST PICTURE EVER! :p

6. bigchrisfgb macrumors 65816

I was just about to say that if it's brand new then it would be running Snow Lepeord, that is the latest OS. Lion won't come out untill mid next year and by what we have seen today it's only afew things added on which should in reality be able to just be put onto Snow Lepeord wihtout updating, though an update shouldn't be too much if needs must.

Why have Microsoft Office when you can get iWork for less? It does everything Office does and can even save in Office formats. You should have been able to get some discount off it when you bought your Mac aswell.

7. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Oh yes I can, especially if I don't have such a picture. It is a screenshot I found via "mac os x finder free space".

Maybe it was this?
    [​IMG]
    Or that?
    [​IMG]

According to today's keynote, we did get only a preview of some new elements of Mac OS X 10.7, NOT ALL new features were shown. And the fullscreen and Mission Control feature will be built into the core of the OS and might not be that easy to implement in the current Mac OS X 10.6 version, thus an update to 10.6.x will probably not suffice.

8. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Regarding Microsoft Office (contains Word) I hear that Office: Mac 2011 is fantastic for once. Of course you may not need Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint (Keynote is much better anyway), etc. If that's the case check out the iWork trial. It contains Pages and is pretty much what any regular user would need for a word processor/publisher. iWork is a lot cheaper than MS Office.

Some people rely on Outlook. There really isn't a good substitute.

9. DJ-R macrumors regular

At least you got some help but here are the future tips.

Try to talk to friends who know more about technology and computer before making purchases. Lucky enough there isn't anything to rip you off when you buy it from Apple Store.

If it happened to choose Windows computer like in Futureshop or BestBuy. You may get ripped off in term of dollar per performance and tech ages.

This is just helpful tip not to get screwed for buying high price for something that isn't worth it at all.

Talk to friends or ask people around. Do not ask people at the 3rd parties dealer store (Apple staffs are fine). If those 3rd parties dealer know that you knew nothing about computer. They can set you up and charge you high price.

They are that evil. Same with car dealer etc etc.

10. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Some of my favorite apps are...

Handbrake- is a great app for converting video files
    Rip it- can rip full DVD movies onto your system
    Skype- duh
    Fastest Free Youtube Downloader- Copy videos from youtube onto your mac
    Screen Flow- Screen recording software
    VLC- plays tons of different file types
    Hulu desktop- watch tv
    Evernote- note syncing
    Geektool-embedding scripts to your desktop

Welcome to the club :apple:

One more thing. If you just bought your mac, run a software update. Hit the apple in the top left, the software update.

11. BornToMac macrumors 6502a

BornToMac

12. iTsKemez thread starter macrumors newbie

13. akasch macrumors regular

I'm not sure if Office for mac 2011 has been released yet, but I would definitely wait and get that (I thought it was being released this month or something), because it'll be a big improvement. Don't get iWork, nobody uses it and is imo hard to use after using all the office applications for years.

14. DJ-R macrumors regular

Not out but it is... really really fast. It is suppose to release this month October.

15. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Office 2011 is out, ya'll just don't have access to it (yet).

16. DJ-R macrumors regular

Yeah I kno but I tend to speak about the Official release for public purchase... I am using it at the moment... lol

17. Blu101 macrumors 6502a

Blu101

October 26.

18. melman101 macrumors 68030

You can also get OpenOffice which is free but compatible with Microsoft Office.

19. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

I would just spend the money and get microsoft office :D

**welcommmme