Just bought my first mac...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Deano.uk, Aug 24, 2009.

1. Deano.uk macrumors regular

Deano.uk

Hey all.

just ordered my first mac and should have it delivered in the next few days.

Ive always admired them but never had the chance to use one properly.

Is there anything I should know coming from a strong windows background before i dig in?

The primary function is to do a bedroom music studio, starting off with garage band, then moving on to logic if i feel the need. :)

apart from that itunes for my music collection + iPhone, iphoto for my photo collection and general web browsing/social networking.

thats pretty much it... sorry to post here, but i couldnt find a "welcome n00bies" thread.

oh, btw its a Macbook 2.4ghz (aluminium), 4gb ram, 250gb HDD
    :apple:

2. MTI macrumors 65816

Prepare yourself to be amused and amazed. ;)

Keep an open mind.

Your PC reflexes and muscle memory will need time to adjust to different keys, locations and visual clues.

Go to the Apple website and browse the video tutorials. The one for the Finder may answer a few initial questions that PC users frequently have.

Learn to appreciate the new experience rather than constantly refering to "your previous computer."

3. newcronos macrumors regular

As soon as possible, get yourself to learn the keyboard shortcuts and always use the trackpad instead of an external mouse. Get comfortable with Expose and Spaces and learn to use them to navigate between applications.

Yes, at first glance of your Mac everything is pretty and everything work, which is great. But the above is what got me to *really* appreciate the genius of Apple designs.

4. VaatiKaiba macrumors 6502

One thing I remember finding difficulty with - closing a window doesn't close the app. You need to manually 'Quit' the app, either by clicking the app's name in the menu bar and then Quit, or by pressing Cmd+Q.

Good luck! You should enjoy your Mac :D

5. Deano.uk thread starter macrumors regular

Deano.uk

cheers guys, the tips are quite useful. i am one of the very few people who prefer trackpads to mice (unless im gaming) and cant wait to use the multitouch macbook one.

ill check out the apple website for the tutorials, and that cmd+q tip is good... ill use that one a bit... im sure ill still be used to my trusty alt+F4 though!

thanks for the warm welcome guys, apple really do have a good community amongst its users. :)

6. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

http://www.apple.com/findouthow/mac/

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1343

Don't tell anyone. I have a reputation to keep up. :D

7. nullx86 macrumors 6502a

nullx86

Good luck going from PC to Mac, it was hard for me at first. Protip - If you have a Windows keyboard, switch your Alt and "Windows" keys, because Alt is Option and "Windows" is command (the cloverleaf thingy) on a Mac keyboard. Trust me this will really help you a lot. you might have to go to System Prefs > Keybaord and change the modifier keys, but PM me if you need help with that. Good luck with your new Mac!

8. tabasco70 macrumors 6502

9. uaecasher macrumors 65816

uaecasher

here is about 50 video tutorials about most common questions:

forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=744582

10. VaatiKaiba macrumors 6502

Oh, and I'm sure someone's already mentioned this but all the keyboard shortcuts you're used to on Windows (eg, Ctrl+C for copy, +V for paste, +X for cut) all work on Mac, but you need to replace Ctrl with Command (possible Cmd on your keyboard).

As I said previously, you'll love your Mac when you get it - it (should :p) just work!

11. Deano.uk thread starter macrumors regular

Deano.uk

cheers again guys, great links there... will read the lifehacker one at work today and the others later tonight. :)

12. MacKiddyWiddy macrumors 6502

all i can say is learn the keyboard and you will be fine [​IMG] just put all of that windows rubbish in the 'trash' folder... Why would it ever be recycled in a bin... i mean trash just sounds cooler... It can take a while to adjust but hey, you have found here so you will never have problems that cant be solved by the community

13. Itacious macrumors newbie

Quite possibly my longest post on a forum.

Wow, I was about to start a thread like this when I saw this one. I too just ordered my first Mac (see sig); it's not here yet... :( Anyway, I have read up quite a bit on Macs.

Golden Rule: It's "Mac" not "MAC". For some reason people see "PC" and assume "Mac" is an abbreviation too... or something. :p

Here's a list of Mac apps I have compiled for me to install on my Mac in no particular order (all free):

Firefox (duh)
    Transmission Simple BitTorrent client. Not that I'm recommending you pirate things; there are legitimate uses.
    Hulu Desktop Hulu as you know and love, but as a standalone app.
    Quicksilver This is supposed to be the cat's meow. I have used Gnome Do (Quicksilver clone) on Linux, didn't like it too much, but maybe It'll grow on me? That's what I've heard.
    Adium The de facto Mac Instant Messaging App.
    Colloquy Alas, Adium doesn't do IRC... yet. Use this app instead for that.
    Unarchiver Need to open a .7z? What about a .tar.gz? The Unarchiver has you covered!
    Butler An neat little thing you might find some use of. See the website.
    Burn If you simply need to throw some files on a DVD, here ya go!
    Growl Another Mac favorite, Growl allows you to get cool little notifications about whatever an application wants to notify you about, such as dowloads completed, IM/mail received, current song playing, etc. Sort of like notification ballons in Windows, but much more nice looking.
    Displaperture Not really useful, but cool nonetheless. It allows you to round off the menubar (a la pre-Leopard) or any of the four screen corners you like. It can complement the black trim around your screen (see here.)
    AppCleaner When you drag an app to the Trash, there may still be some "straggler files"; .plists, cache files, etc. This app attempts to completely remove apps when you drag them on to the window. Can also be configured to activate when you move an app to the trash. One of the few free ones.
    Flip4Mac Windows Media Components for QuickTime QuickTime plugin that allows it to play WMVs, mainly. Microsoft endorsed.
    OpenOffice.org/NeoOffice Whichever you prefer. OpenOffice.org is a free office suite that runs on all major OS's (Win/Mac/Lin) and is mostly compatible with Microsoft Office. NeoOffice is a version of OpenOffice.org made to be more like a Mac app.

This one isn't free: CrossOver. Sort of like Parallels or VMware Fusion; allows you to run Windows apps without booting into Windows. The difference is that CrossOver is a implementation of the Windows libraries, think of CrossOver as a "translation layer" between Windows apps and OSX. CrossOver is a proprietary implementation of the open-source Wine project, but sales from CrossOver fund Wine. Keep in mind Wine has much less spit and polish and no Cocoa interface.

Here's some Firefox addons, not really Mac specific, that you may wish to try:

Greasemonkey The addon.
    Stylish Like Greasemonkey, but centered around changing the look of websites and/or Firefox.
    SmoothWheel The best smooth scroll addon I have tried.
    Surf Canyon Helps improve Google search results, among other things.
    Organize Status Bar Let's you rearange the status (bottom) bar.
    Tabs Menu Makes a menu in the menubar listing all the tabs open; thought this might be cool on a Mac.
    Stop-or-Reload Button Hides the Stop button when page is not loading, hides refresh when it is, a la Safari.
    SearchBox Sync Sync what your current search is in a search engine with the text in the upper-right search box.
    Lazarus Saves long forms so if Firefox crashes your tedious MacRumors post doesn't go up in smoke.
    StumbleUpon Select your interests, press "Stumble!" and wham! a page that (should) be interesting to you. Press "thumbs-up" for more like it and vice-versa.
    Locationbar2 Makes the address bar Google Chrome like, highlights the website and grays out the directory and subdomain. Also linkifies it when you hold ctrl, shift, cmd (I think), or alt.

This one is Mac-specific: Keychain Services Integration. It's supposed to integrate the OSX keychain into Firefox. It's still experimental, so beware. But if anybody is willing to try it, perhaps on a seperate FF profile, please let me know how it works.

Whooo, long post. Maybe I'll clean this up and make a thread out of it.

14. Itacious macrumors newbie

Yeah, I don't really get it either. "Trash" is a much more suitable name. Nothing is really recycled when the Recycle Bin is emptied... unless you mean the free space.

15. Deano.uk thread starter macrumors regular

Deano.uk

That last post is great :D

Cheers, i cant wait to get it... estimated 28th/9th of sept :(

16. Itacious macrumors newbie

Mine is coming Aug. 27-Sept. 2. This is painful. :p

17. Deano.uk thread starter macrumors regular

Deano.uk

ill give them apps a go that you posted in the list... however for bit torrent is transmission better then the uTorrent beta?

ive already ordered snow leopard too... wonder what will come first... the mac or the leopard, lol.

im itching to get going with garage band and recording songs.

18. nullx86 macrumors 6502a

nullx86

personally I would sat Transmission. Ive never really cared for uTorrent.

19. creon macrumors 6502

Best choice I have ever made. Until last year I had been using PC's all of my life and realized I have been using computers that only lead to errors and googling for answers.

Welcome. Kick back and enjoy using a computer for the first time.

20. Deano.uk thread starter macrumors regular

Deano.uk

posting a message from my new macbook now!

Its amazing!

10/10 for ease of use. love the backlit keyboard, and the fact that i learn something new about it every minute by tinkering. :D

Its very sleak and sexy too!

Thanks guys... i feel like im in the future! hopefully Snow Leopard will be here tomorrow to upgrade to.

21. cirdan macrumors newbie

Great thread. I've just bought my first IMac. Delivery anticipated in the next couple of days:). Haven't used a Mac since the Mac Plus(how long ago was that ?).

22. IBradMac macrumors 68000

IBradMac

Great! Good to hear!

I sill learn something new it seems at least once a week. ;)