Just bought my first mac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Juice011785, Mar 5, 2010.

1. Juice011785 macrumors newbie

Hey everyone,
    I just purchased my first mac, its currently in the Memphis hub and I'm in Roanoke, VA so it should be here tommarow or monday. Needless to say I am very excited. I'v always been a PC person, infact I'm microsoft certified in many things, but out of curiosity and to broaden my horizons I decided to get myself a macbook (not the pro). Any thing you guys feel I should know about my first mac? (mainly network and security) Thanks!
    AJ

2. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

Just one.

Forget EVERYTHING you know about Windows!

This is not Windows and does not act as such.

If you've used Linux, that's a start. Just click around and try everything out. Click, drag, hold a key while you click a certain object, just experiment with everything.

Most important, just use your instincts. MacOS X is very intuitive.

3. mattniles007 macrumors 6502

mattniles007

Honestly you may want to forget Windows. My friend is a big Windows expert and he likes Mac and realizes they are better but will not use one because it is so different to him.

4. Thomas Harte macrumors 6502

Umm, applications are (overwhelmingly) single entities of their own. They look and act as a single icon in the Finder, 99% of the time you install them just by dragging them to where you want to keep them and uninstall them by dragging them to the trash. Similarly, things like the filetypes supported by an application are inherent properties of the application itself. Compare and contrast with the Windows implementation of things like file associations — a program writes file association information into the Registry, which the Explorer consults. You can keep applications on removable media, move them wherever you want in the filesystem, and nothing breaks. From the other side of the coin, the metadata heavy filesystem allows individual files to be associated with specific programs, rather than just generically by filetype.

Ummm, forget everything you know about device drivers, etc. There's no equivalent to the 'System' control panel and you never actually update things like graphics card drivers yourself. Apple roll what that stuff into the OS updates.

OS X is much more flexible about the relationship between windows and applications and for most purposes has no concept of a child window. The traditional way to do multidocument applications was to put all the control palettes (eg, for Word that's stuff like the current font, level of indent, buttons to insert bullets, etc) in their own windows and give one window each with no adornment to each document. That's giving way to windows with a few really significant controls at the top and context-specific inspectors. For task-centric rather than document-centric applications, most will continue running without having any windows open at all. Apps like Mail treat things like the Inbox as merely a view into what the app is doing rather than the app itself.

Other than that, I guess you'll just be able to enjoy some of the OS X stuff that is currently ahead of the Windows functionality, the menubar search being the main one I miss.

5. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

OP, have you used Linux in the past? What distros and environments?

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

7. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

8. MacGurl111 macrumors 65816

MacGurl111

I have 5 PC in this house. I haven't touched any of them since I've had my Apple desktop. I love this thing and the many wonderful that this machine alone can do.
    Took about 2 weeks of getting used to it. Still a lot to learn but I like the challenge.:D

You'll love the machine. :apple:

9. blockburner28 macrumors 6502

blockburner28

10. Joerigoesmac macrumors member

Joerigoesmac

i am a certified microsoft reseller, havent touched my desktop since i got a mac ;) but microsofts failures are 90% of my income :p

11. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

Man, I know what it's like. I can hardly stand to do ANYTHING on any other system unless it has a clean interface. MacOS X and um...well I can't think of any others, but Mac OS X has a very VERY well designed and thought out interface, whereas with Ubuntu specifically...I'm lost. How many different settings groups are there?! System, User, Advanced...what?! Why not put them into a single area? Kde comes closest to this but there's still about three groups!

My PC that I mothballed when I got my MacBook 2 years ago is clunking away, converting videos for me. It will take 3.14 times as long, but I'd rather not subject my MacBook Pro to that kind of long-term full-load processing while I'm carrying it around with me.

Hm, 2.53ghz Core 2 Duo vs 2.2ghz AMD 64 Athlon 3500+ and it takes THREE TIMES as long? Granted, the converter on my MacBook Pro is 64bit, but it shouldn't make that much of a difference...

12. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

+1. I fix windows machines and servers for a living so I can't complain about windows. It works for a lot of people but I prefer mac anyday.

The only reason I use windows is at work.

To the OP: Congrats on your purchase :) Most people end up liking OSX quite well. There is nothing I haven't been able to do on it.

13. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

The best thing about the Mac OS, at least in my opinion, since the Intel transition is the ability to run Windows programs on it, either through WINE or virtual machines or Boot Camp. Heck, you can run a lot of Linux software on Mac OS X too - either inside a Linux VM or by recompiling from source code.

14. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto