Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Swatman

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 6, 2008
So i have been looking at the 13 inch MBP for a few weeks now. I was looking at the refurbs today and I saw the Feb 2011 2.7 ghz I7 for just 1189$. I knew I had to jump at the chance to buy it so I pulled the trigger. It will be my first Mac computer. One question I had:
I want to buy an SSD for it. How would I go about reinstalling the OS once I remove the HDD and put in the SSD?

Freyqq

macrumors 601
Dec 13, 2004
So i have been looking at the 13 inch MBP for a few weeks now. I was looking at the refurbs today and I saw the Feb 2011 2.7 ghz I7 for just 1189$. I knew I had to jump at the chance to buy it so I pulled the trigger. It will be my first Mac computer. One question I had:
I want to buy an SSD for it. How would I go about reinstalling the OS once I remove the HDD and put in the SSD?

I believe for that computer there was a recent patch to allow an internet install of lion in the firmware. Basically, you boot into the installer and it downloads lion over the internet and then installs.

ECUpirate44

macrumors 603
Mar 22, 2010
NC
I believe for that computer there was a recent patch to allow an internet install of lion in the firmware. Basically, you boot into the installer and it downloads lion over the internet and then installs.

Yup, there was. No install disc or USB drive needed. Internet recovery is pretty simple.

Swatman

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 6, 2008
So i just put in the new drive, turn on the mbp and im able to download it from the internet?

chrislaw

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2009
central ohio
Not to threadjack, but didnt want to start a new thread. So there isn't supposed to be Lion discs included with a new mbp? I ask b/c my mid 2009 came with 2 discs and i did not receive any with the mbp i got today. So I'm guessing since we can use the command R we no longer get physical discs? Just wanted to double check.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Command + R as already stated. For obvious reasons you need an internet connect for it to work.

Now if you do have an internet connection, you can take it to the Apple Store for them install it. Apple also does sell Lion on a USB drive.

So I'm guessing since we can use the command R we no longer get physical discs? Just wanted to double check.

No, the latest Mac notebook purchases do not receive physical media with their computers. When you use Internet Recovery, your S/N is upload to Apple's servers and they will know from that that your machine came preinstalled with Lion and installation will commence.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
The easiest way to get the everything running again on the new SSD is to buy a cheap USB HD enclosure here:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817816015
Put the new SSD in it.
Attach new SSD via USB. Turn off your new Mac. Do the command R keyboard combination to boot into recovery. Wait for it to get to the install screen. Could be a few minutes as it will check your interent connection and confirm with Apple. Go to Utilities and then Disk Utility. Now restore the existing Macintosh HD onto the new SSD. When it is done swap the drives and you have everything on the new SSD as you had on the existing HD that the Mac came with. Or you could just install Lion onto the SSD a fresh install and keep the old HD as a backup....

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008
Not to threadjack, but didnt want to start a new thread. So there isn't supposed to be Lion discs included with a new mbp? I ask b/c my mid 2009 came with 2 discs and i did not receive any with the mbp i got today. So I'm guessing since we can use the command R we no longer get physical discs? Just wanted to double check.

Discs are no longer included, ever since Lion came out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.