just bought my mac and..

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by daysgoby, Feb 27, 2008.

1. daysgoby macrumors newbie

sup guys,
    second time poster here
    after the update, i ordered macbook pro the mid range model (15')
    even with student discount the price ain't cheap
    i was debating between mac and pc platform and went with
    mac even though i can buy pc for alot cheaper..

hopefully it will be worth the price of my kidney.. haha

just wanna know why mac over pc?
    can someone please convince me fully?

I do heavy photography and getting into video..

2. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Your question is a very valid one however it would have more validity if you had not yet purchased the machine so tell us why you chose the Mac over a PC since you are well aware that the price for a Mac is more?

3. kuwisdelu macrumors 65816

When you receive it and have had some time to play around with it, you'll need no more convincing. Trust me ;)

4. skiffx macrumors 6502a

If somebody says, "return this for the full refund and go for the pc laptop"
    your thoughts are "hmm NO" then you made the right choice.

5. BuzzedHornet macrumors newbie

I had the same questions.

I am buying the same thing as you. I am also a heavy into photography. I bought the mac because they are made for imaging. What made up my mind was a side by side test. I have a bud who just bought a bad ass PC and another who bought a macbook in Dec. They both have Lightroom and CS3. I loaded up a RAW NEF file in both using bridge and then Lightroom for white balance and levels, converted to jpeg and saved the file. The mac was so much faster it wasn't even a contest. Then for giggles I loaded XP up on the Mac and did the same test (retesting the PC again side by side), they were close but I think the mac won that test too! That could just be because I was so excited by the idea of runnign XP on a mac, but even my PC bud (who works at MS by the way) was blown away by the mac.

So for what I do (and it sounds like you do too) the mac just kicks ass! As far as everything else they both are so much faster than my 5 year old Toshiba that I know I would be happy with both.

Did you go Matte or Glossy? I went with the Matte screen.

Rob

6. daysgoby thread starter macrumors newbie

hmm

hey thanks for the reply guys
    I bought mac because my gf's got iMac and Mac seems to be 'industry' standard when it comes to photography and video. also i don't play that much game on computer so didn't really care tooo much that pc got more games. I used to have Toshiba laptop that was thick as a phonebook.. and their customer service was garbage.

I guess i just had some doubts because I spent 3k on this mac. can't wait till my mac arrives!

thanks alot for those replies guys!

ROB: I went with matte screen as well can't stand glossy

7. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Macs are more efficient when it comes to multi-asking, drag and drop, general creative endeavors that require opening of a large number of files / apps.

Benchmark the same computer running OSX and windows.
    Same computer running XP scored about 85% the speed of OS X. [geekbench]