Just bought my new Mac Mini $799

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by cis4life, Mar 3, 2009.

1. cis4life macrumors regular

Just got back from the apple store, and they do indeed have them instock. I had to ask for it in the back, but he came out with a new updated mac mini

2. illtype macrumors member

3. macrockbuddy macrumors member

congrats, please tell me ur hooking it up 2 a huge lcd/plasma

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

If they show up in the local store near mine, I may go for the $599 model.

5. JNRidgway15 macrumors member

6. Shivetya macrumors 65816

I want to see proof, make a video where you slowly rotate it on a table... its the only way to be sure

7. brand macrumors 601

brand

Too funny!!! :D

8. gothamm macrumors 6502a

congrats. but I simply can not justify spending the extra $200 for an extra 1 gb of ram and slightly more spacious HD.

9. iObama macrumors 6502

iObama

You also get an extra 128MB of VRAM stolen from your main RAM.

Which is pretty ridiculous for Apple to do.

10. robotartfashion macrumors 6502

we've discussed this in other threads

it appears that if you use more than 1 gb of ram you automatically have access to the 256 vram

the "higher end" mini is just a slight discount on the hard drive and ram, the vram appears to be the same

it all comes down to the difference between 1gb or more of ram

11. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

Yea me too. I'm going to go for the $599 model get student discount on it for $549 and then add my own 4gb of RAM which will unlock the 256 vram capabilities of the nvidia 9400m gt card and add my 320gb hitachi travelstar 7200rpm hdd in it.

Then I'm going to sell my 15" 2.53ghz mbp and pocket the extra $1300. :D

All I really wanted was something with a macbook's specs + fw800 and more usb ports. I finally have it!!

12. The Samurai macrumors 68000

The Samurai

I'd say it will be a camera trick or some sort of final cut express tactic.

13. iObama macrumors 6502

iObama

Just saw that. Thanks for not being rude like many others would be!

14. tobyg macrumors 6502a

I got mine too.

Got the 1GB model. Playing with it now.

Just loaded Vista Ultimate on it, and it actually runs pretty well. Still at 1GB.

This thing is basically the same as a 2.0ghz Macbook.

CPU is a P7350, as I expected.

I haven't cracked it open to upgrade ram yet or check to see if the CPU is socketed, but I'll be doing that tonight.

What is a good utility to check the 9400's memory and gpu speed? GPUZ seems to not know anything about it...

15. urbanskywalker macrumors 6502

How difficult is it to change ram and hard drive in the mini? Does it break the warranty?

16. tobyg macrumors 6502a

Shouldn't void the warranty but looks just as difficult as the old Mac mini's. Same case. Go google on how to open them, and you'll see. I'm not looking forward to this task...

17. tuc macrumors 6502

My local Apple store (Tysons Corner, Virginia) said it didn't have any new
    machines, even in the back. They were hoping to receive some tomorrow.

18. robotartfashion macrumors 6502

it depends on who you ask, but the consensus is that no, it does not void the warranty or applecare unless:

a) you damage the computer during the upgrade process, that of course would not be covered
    b) anything that is not original to the mac goes bad (i.e the ram or the hard drive bricks the device)

other than that you're golden though! **

** i do not work for apple, this just seems to be the more prevalent explanation :)

19. tobyg macrumors 6502a

Oh and I got mine at the Woodfield store in Schaumburg, IL.

Oak Brook said they wouldn't have them until tomorrow.

20. jw2002 macrumors 6502

I just ordered mine on line for approx $749 because I'm getting the model with the slight bump in cpu power. I'm going to buy 4 GB worth of memory from OWC. Just to confirm, the new mac mini will take ***exactly*** the same DDR3 modules that go into the latest model macbook -- a 204 pin 1067 MHz DDR3, right? I don't think all the 3rd party memory sellers have their configurators up to date for today's just introduced mac models.

21. pjashley1 macrumors member

I got mine today - I haven't heard the fan do anything so far, and it's not really getting warm like the older ones did!

Tiny glitch with the mini-displayport to VGA (that I had to buy separately) I got artifacts every restart but seems pretty stable now.
    (BTW you get a mini-DVI to DVI in the box)

The packaging is much smaller than before, there's no carry handle and the box is shrink-wrapped. I would say the new mini itself is a smidgen heavier than before.

Pretty pleased with it although slightly begrudge the extra £150 for what is essentially 1GB extra RAM and NVidia chips - but it does feel pretty snappy.

22. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Thanks for the info - I was going to stop by that one on Wed to at least see them (must leave credit card at home...) :eek:

23. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

Whoever opens their case, please take pics so we can see how much the innards have changed. I'd like to see how easy it is to swap out the anemic 5400 RPM HD for a 7200 RPM (can't believe apple uses a 5400 RPM drive even in the "high end" mini)

I'm wondering if you can actually max out at 6GB RAM like some of the later iMac and MB models. If so, that'd be sweet.