Just bought my touch. What should I know about Jailbreaking before I do it?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by NEWYORKMETS, May 20, 2008.

1. NEWYORKMETS macrumors newbie

I know this has probably been asked a million times, but it would be very helpful if anyone could give a few heads up tips on jailbreaking. I understand that there is a few different ways to go about doing it, so could anyone explain the best way to do it, and maybe list some of the can't miss programs I should be downloading?

If there are any sites or threads you guys could be posting about jailbreaking that I should maybe take a look at.. it would be great. Thanks

2. RMo macrumors 65816

RMo

When I first bought my iPod, I think I used JailBreak from jailbreakme.com (I think). That was the one that exploited a flaw in Safari for iPod touch with 1.1.1 firmware. It was then possible to install a patch on the jailbroken iPod and upgrade to 1.1.2 (maybe further) if desired. However, you needed 1.1.1 to do this, which necessitated either an old, unupgraded iPod or a downgrade to 1.1.1, which is both difficult to find nowadays (I don't think Apple has it anymore) and difficult to downgrade to with newer versions of iTunes (I think--or maybe it was difficult to upgrade to 1.1.2 after jailbreaking with newer versions of iTunes, I forget).

However, if you just got an iPod now, you probably have 1.1.3 or 1.1.4. I've also JailBreak-ed myself from 1.1.4 using iLibertyX (for OS X) at http://theiphoneproject.org/, and it worked flawlessly. There is apparently also a Windows version (iLiberty+) there, but I have never used it. I imagine it would work similarly.

From my experience, I would recommend iLibertyX, but I'd be interested in what anyone else has to say, as well.

3. Drucifer macrumors regular

I bought my iPod recently and knew nothing about jailbreaking. I heard about ZiPhone downloaded it. Was kind of nervous so I didn't jailbreak right away but a couple days later when I found out that there really is no way to actually damage the iPod to the point where it would no longer work I decided to go for it.

I used ZiPhone which was very quick and have been jailbroken since. :D

4. JeffTL macrumors 6502a

You should probably be aware that for most users' purposes, it will be obsolete in about two weeks.

5. NEWYORKMETS thread starter macrumors newbie

What do you mean?

6. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

There is expected to be a flood of new, "authorized" apps available from Apple in June when the next update (probably 2.0) is released. It has been speculated that it will cost existing iPod touch owners anywhere from $5 to $5000, according to which "Apple is greedy" thread you read on these and other forums (I'm guessing it will be $5 but it could be $20).