Just bought new alu MB off Macmall...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by bballintom22, Jan 28, 2009.

1. bballintom22 macrumors newbie

Like title says i just bought it from macmall and bundled it to get VMfusion and installed xp on there. However, i just got the invoice and i guess i didn't notice until after but it says ddr2. The description says it is the new aluminum mb, so is this just a typo or is it even possible?

heres the invoice description:

Item Number: 7684273
    Description: 13.3" MacBook Intel Core 2 Duo 2.0GHz, 2GB, 160GB, SuperDrive - Aluminum with VMWare Fusion 2.0 and Microsoft Windows XP Home pre-installed Intel Core 2 Duo 2.0GHz, 2GB DDR2, 160GB SATA/100, Nvidia GF9400M graphics 256MB, 13" Display 1280x800, Super Drive(DVD+-R/CD-RW), Gigabit Ethernet, 802.11n WLAN, Bluetooth, OS X 10.5 Leopard
    Quantity: 1

2. Pixellated macrumors 65816

The DDR2 looks like a typo. All of the other specs are from a GlassBook.

3. hellfire88 macrumors 6502

Seems like a typo, I'm not aware of them making Aluminum Macbook's with DDR2 RAM.

4. SummerBoy macrumors regular

SummerBoy

better check your system. They might swapped the faster ddr3 with crappy ddr2 for profit. It happened to me once.

5. bballintom22 thread starter macrumors newbie

called to confirm and they assured me it was the new aluminum mb, and that it was just a typo...just to be on the safe side i bought it with my AMEX and they've always had my back. I don't have the MB yet and since this is my first mac, is there a quick way to tell which ddr you have?

6. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

Huh? Seriously? How did the computer even boot?

DDR2 RAM is incompatible with DDR3 slots and vice versa, so to the OP, yes it's a typo.

7. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

DDR3 and DDR2 are not the same size.

8. poematik14 macrumors member

As far as I know, RAM is not backwards compatible.

9. aristobrat macrumors G4

If you click on the Apple icon in the top-left corner and then click on 'About This Mac', it tells you how much memory you have, and the memory speed.

10. bflowers macrumors 6502a

you may also want to call AppleCare, and have them correct the purchase date. Otherwise your warranty (and the ability to add AppleCare before they end of the year) will be based on the date Apple sold MacMall the computer. Had to do the same thing.

11. Acorn macrumors 68020

Acorn

im glad im not the only one who decided on the 2.0 ghz version instead of the 2.4

12. bballintom22 thread starter macrumors newbie

bflowers- i didn't know that, thanks for the tip! you would think that since macmall is an authorized reseller that they would get the warranty date started on after macmall sold it to me, but i will def take your advice and give apple a call.

acorn- yeah i decided to go small for my first mac and didn't want to shell out an extra 300 for backlight kb and a bit faster processor. Which i am not saying is not good, but just not for me.

another question, since i bough this bundled with vm fusion and xp already installed, will it pretty much be ready for me to use when i get it or do i need to do anything as far as installation on that goes?