Just bought new battery, says to replace

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Watermonkey, Oct 7, 2010.

1. Watermonkey macrumors member

Watermonkey

I bought a new battery for early 2008 MBP 17" and calibrated it. Plug stays orange and power saver says to replace the battery. Also, don't know it it's related or not, but the computer won't stream Pandora while another computer and WIFI radio on the same network both have no issues. Reset the PRAM. No change. Any suggestions? Running Snow Leopard.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Did you buy it from Apple, or an off-brand? Did you reset the SMC?

This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions: Apple Notebook Battery FAQ

3. Watermonkey thread starter macrumors member

Watermonkey

I bought it off eBay. I think it's an off-brand and it supposedly has a three year warranty. The battery seems to work, but the computer doesn't want to recognize this fact. How do you reset the SMC? (Never mind, got that one covered.)

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Be sure to read the link I posted, especially about warranty. There's also a link in there about resetting the SMC.

5. Watermonkey thread starter macrumors member

Watermonkey

Yep. I read it and I appreciate it very much. So far it's streaming Pandora stutter-free. We'll see how long that lasts. It still says replace the battery though... We're going to try recalibrating it for the third time soon, but I'm not holding my breath.

6. Watermonkey thread starter macrumors member

Watermonkey

Well, I'm sad to report, that the good behavior didn't last. I don't know if I mentioned it or not, but after it starts the stuttering with any media, it soon becomes too slow to use and a "shutter-like effect" takes place where the screen changes tint from top to bottom several times and finally a message in many languages pops up that says something to the effect of your computer must shut down now and quickly disappears under the shade effect and then the user must hold down the power key to shut it down. My wife is the sole user of the computer and says that this all started with the last major Safari update. Applecare advised if we buy and install Snow Leopard it would behave. While that proved true for a couple weeks, it returned. I've reset the PRAM and SMC to no avail. I have a feeling this is hardware related, but everything tests good.... Very frustrating. The battery issue is a separate issue, I believe.