Just bought new imac..should I have waited?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by M14762, Aug 3, 2015.

1. M14762 macrumors newbie

Yesterday I bought the 27"/3.5 ghx/1tb FD/5k model.

I did some research beforehand, but it seems like any refresh will be a few months out and will only have marginal performance gains. I just knew I needed a new computer and had the funds so went ahead.

Now I have read more and am starting to second guess myself. Should I have waited ?

Primary use is photoediting, very little video editing. No gaming.

2. matreya macrumors 65816

matreya

Don't second-guess yourself, you've bought a Mac that should give you years of service. I would recommend you buy AppleCare for it when you can. It's worth having the extended warranty, even if you never need it, I find if you don't get applecare that's when murphy's law kicks in :/

3. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

That's the way to do it, waiting would be a couple of months at least of struggling on needing a new computer. You have a great machine there that will perform all your photo editing needs for years to come. Don't worry just enjoy the new machine.

4. robgendreau macrumors 68030

You answered your own question. You needed it. It may even have advantages over new stuff (it's a close question what species of troll is more prevalent: the "shoulda waited cuz the refresh is always better" or the "never buy with a new version of ————" troll).

And getting retina is SO nice; in a coupla months you'll wonder how you got along without it.

5. Liffey macrumors regular

Honestly, a new iMac comes out every single Fall. Like clockwork. If it was really important to you to wait, you would have done so. Since you bought one now, I think you needed it and should keep it.

6. maxsix Suspended

maxsix

Stop looking back ... The highest and best use of time is to boot up your new Mac and enjoy it. :D

7. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. You got a great computer, @M14762, and it should last quite a long time. Enjoy it.

8. ashe777 macrumors newbie

For the same price, you can get 20% performance gains on the new computer lineup in September. But I think its really like 15%.

9. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

Do not second guess yourself. Just enjoy your new computer. If you need it now, then you made the right decision.

10. fathergll macrumors 6502a

If you can wait then you should. Im not sure what type of answer you are expecting.

11. Totally Bored macrumors member

Totally Bored

Meh ... I just bought one last week and I'm not 2nd quessing. There always gonna come out with one better. I'm the King of Hill for now and it does everything I want it to do.

12. M14762 thread starter macrumors newbie

well, one week in..

No regrets. Installed El Capitan Beta and everything is working great, though some of the formatting on websites is a little odd.

Photos taken on my D810 are simply amazing on this machine.

13. OC513 macrumors 6502

I bought a new one 2 weeks ago, loving it with a Fusion drive. Zero regrets.

14. louruiz macrumors newbie

My 9 year old PC gave out in July while waiting for the refresh, so I went ahead and purchased a maxed out 5K iMac. I love it so much that I wonder what took me so long (I had been waiting since last November)

So now I'm trying my best not to read anything on the eventual refresh, especially after this 5K iMac Pro speculation: http://9to5mac.com/2015/08/10/intel-xeon-notebook-processors/

Grrr....

15. AlifTheUnseen macrumors member

AlifTheUnseen

i'd had some 2nd thoughts as well… one of them would be that I got this gorgeous screen, but no way to connect an external computer once the iMac is old and I'd like to connect a MacMini, xMac, MacPro or Hackintosh in 2019 or so…. I hope soon-to-be-released RiMac V2 adds that capability...