Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SmoothBox

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 2, 2009
I just recently had bought a new Seagate 500gb 7200 HD. I have it already installed in the enclosure and hooked up to my computer via firewire 800 and already have Carbon Copy Cloner installed and working as well. When I go to use CCC the drive doesn't show up. I guess that means I have to format first right?

In the device manager window that comes up when you choose to initalize, I chose the drive and then I went to partition and then did the drop down to 1 partition. Then under options, you can choose a partition scheme, so I read all 3 options. The default selection is "Apple Partition Map" but it seems like I should choose the first one listed which is "GUID partition Table".

Which one am I supposed to go with?

Also is there any other things I have to select or do after that to clone the drive?

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
Not sure why CCC wouldn't see the drive. Even if it was formatted to FAT32 it should show up. Do you see the drive on the desktop?

Yes, GUID is the format you want.

You might try SuperDuper over CCC...much simpler interface, and a bit faster at cloning.

SmoothBox

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 2, 2009
Its brand new so it hasn't been format and that's my only guess as to way CCC didn't see the drive.

So I need to format it correct?

Also and I want to use the GUID Partition Table?

SmoothBox

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 2, 2009
Should I dnl Superduper and use that instead or just format and try with CCC? Either way though I still have to format the drive correct?

mutsaers-vr.nl

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2008
The Netherlands
is this HD better than the 500GB/7200 Appel delivers????? Does it have the beep as well?

I just recently had bought a new Seagate 500gb 7200 HD. I have it already installed in the enclosure and hooked up to my computer via firewire 800 and already have Carbon Copy Cloner installed and working as well. When I go to use CCC the drive doesn't show up. I guess that means I have to format first right?

In the device manager window that comes up when you choose to initalize, I chose the drive and then I went to partition and then did the drop down to 1 partition. Then under options, you can choose a partition scheme, so I read all 3 options. The default selection is "Apple Partition Map" but it seems like I should choose the first one listed which is "GUID partition Table".

Which one am I supposed to go with?

Also is there any other things I have to select or do after that to clone the drive?

Cave Man

macrumors 604
Either way though I still have to format the drive correct?

It can be for the uninitiated. For instance, when you initialize a new drive that is external, Disk Utility defaults to Apple Partition Map, even if you have an Intel Mac. That's easy to miss.

OP, here's what you do:

1. Connect the new drive to your Mac and open Disk Utility. Select the drive, and not the partition that is below and indented from the drive name. The Partition tab should activate.
2. Click on Partition and from the pull down choose one partition (or more, if you like), then click on the Options button and select GUID.
3. Initialize the drive as Mac OS Extended with Journaling and initialize the drive.
4. Open Carbon Copy Cloner and clone your internal drive to the external. This will take a few hours to complete.
5. After it's done, restart your Mac with the new drive still connected and as soon as you hear the chime press and hold the Option key on your keyboard until you're presented with the bootable drives. Use the arrow keys to select your new drive and press return.
6. If the computer successfully boots, you have a perfect clone and you can sway the drives out.

SmoothBox

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 2, 2009
Thanks for the info and I was able to clone it.

Also after I completed the clone I then attempted to do the boot from the external enclosure and I held the option key until the choice came up to choose between drives. I chose the external and it booted up fine, but it doesn't show that you have booted up the external it was like it booted up from the internal still. I mean I'm saying this because I did "Apple I" on the HD Icon and it showed the internal info. But wait I guess that's right, correct? I mean it booted up fine and I'm writing this reply now.....

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
Thanks for the info and I was able to clone it.

Also after I completed the clone I then attempted to do the boot from the external enclosure and I held the option key until the choice came up to choose between drives. I chose the external and it booted up fine, but it doesn't show that you have booted up the external it was like it booted up from the internal still. I mean I'm saying this because I did "Apple I" on the HD Icon and it showed the internal info. But wait I guess that's right, correct? I mean it booted up fine and I'm writing this reply now.....
When you hold down the ALT (OPTION) key, you can select the HD that you want to boot from.

Once the boot process takes place, if the external HD is a clone of the internal HD, then it will be exactly the same except for one point.

If you have the Finder set up to show HDs. then the one in the top right corner is the boot drive. This will change depending on which HD that you boot from. The default HD icons for the internal HD is grayish and the HD icon for the external will be orange with a FW symbol on it.

In my case, I use CCC to clone to alternating external HDs. I name my clone back ups Backup - <Date>.

Others do a complete clone and then incremental backups to one external HD.

In my case, I prefer the alternating approach.

You might try SuperDuper over CCC...much simpler interface, and a bit faster at cloning.
Not sure why you say this. CCC has a very simple and easy to use interface.

SmoothBox

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 2, 2009
On the desktop it looks like nothing changed. The one in the top right hand corner is the internal and then the external enclosure is orange underneath it. Is there any way to know for sure or since it looks like this it means it didn't boot from the external enclosure?

Cave Man

macrumors 604
Open Disk Utility and click on the external drive. "Repair Disk" should be greyed out if it is your boot disk, while the internal it won't be greyed out. The boot drive cannot use the Repair Disk function in Disk Utility. Also, if you boot from the external, its lights should be flashing as it reads and writes to the disk while booting.

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
On the desktop it looks like nothing changed. The one in the top right hand corner is the internal and then the external enclosure is orange underneath it. Is there any way to know for sure or since it looks like this it means it didn't boot from the external enclosure?
Just to verify, restart and boot with the external again and see if it changes.

Open Disk Utility and click on the external drive. "Repair Disk" should be greyed out if it is your boot disk, while the internal it won't be greyed out. The boot drive cannot use the Repair Disk function in Disk Utility.
Good suggestion as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.