Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yalag

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 18, 2007
I just a bought a new macbook pro and upgrading from my old macbook pro. This one has more ram and faster cpu. What is the best way to clone everything over? I don't want to use TM because I've heard stories that it sometimes does not copy everything over.

I need an exact copy of everything in the disk on the new disk. Thank you!

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I just a bought a new macbook pro and upgrading from my old macbook pro. This one has more ram and faster cpu. What is the best way to clone everything over? I don't want to use TM because I've heard stories that it sometimes does not copy everything over.

I need an exact copy of everything in the disk on the new disk. Thank you!
Carbon Copy Cloner creates a bootable clone.

yalag

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 18, 2007
I actually can't afford to buy an 500Gb external drive right now nor do I have time machine. How can I use ccc to do this? Am I better of buying a firewire cable? Does target mode still works in recent macbooks?

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2010
I actually can't afford to buy an 500Gb external drive right now nor do I have time machine. How can I use ccc to do this? Am I better of buying a firewire cable? Does target mode still works in recent macbooks?

yes target mode still works, the link ggj posted has all the infos regarding cc and migration assistant, you need a firewire cable to do target disc mode (if you want to) and i would borrow an external hd from a friend or something for a day and give it back if you cant afford one.

yalag

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 18, 2007
yes target mode still works, the link ggj posted has all the infos regarding cc and migration assistant, you need a firewire cable to do target disc mode (if you want to) and i would borrow an external hd from a friend or something for a day and give it back if you cant afford one.

but I thought if I have a firewire cable I can connect directly between two macs and not need a disk?

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2010
but I thought if I have a firewire cable I can connect directly between two macs and not need a disk?

i thought you wanted to clone it to the external hd, my mistake, yes than a firewire cable is all you need (apart from having a big enough harddrive in your new computer to fit everything you want).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.