Just bought new MacBook pro 13"

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Iphone3gs, Sep 5, 2010.

1. Iphone3gs macrumors 6502

How comes the thread is closed (sticky thread).
    Just when I bought my mbp th thread just has to close.

Anyway iv read regarding calibration of battery but it is not so clear.

Should I just let the mbp drain it's battery by using it. Or shall I just charged it right away?

It has approximate 4hrs battery life.
    Iv had it for 1 day just getting used to it. I was hoping to calibrate f efficently.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Did you read the last post in that thread?
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=10947880&postcount=4330
    This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions: Apple Notebook Battery FAQ

3. TopHatPlus macrumors 6502

its basically like setting the battery in everything, use the computer kill the battery like 10 times and you'll be good

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

This makes no sense at all. I think you just made this up, as there is no documentation anywhere that supports your statement.

5. TopHatPlus macrumors 6502

hahaha well i am not one of those people who re edit wikipidia every time i fell obliged, i used my old macbook for 4 years and when i gave it to my sister inlaw it has 145 cycles and 100% battery health, i have owned a ipod nano 1st gen that the battery still works, an iphone 3g, not to mention all of my 5 siblings things, i thought this was common sense? haha no links sorry

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Who said anything about wikipedia?
    Was it properly calibrated? If not, that battery health is likely not accurate, although it's not uncommon.
    iPods and iPhones have different battery technology than Apple notebooks, so that doesn't apply here.
    No, it's a matter of facts, not guesswork, personal anecdotes, "gut instinct" or "common sense". The same goes for your virus comment in another thread, which you still haven't responded to.
    Exactly.

7. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

//still waiting.

8. TopHatPlus macrumors 6502

Who said anything about wikipedia? lol you need to watch the big bang theory

Was it properly calibrated? If not, that battery health is likely not accurate, although it's not uncommon. well i guess there is literally no way to tell this and no program or link to say "you have no properly calibrated your batter" but after 4 years of low usage and 100% health even if its out by 1-% which i doubt its still pretty damn good

iPods and iPhones have different battery technology than Apple notebooks, so that doesn't apply here. correct and so is the battery in your car and coffee maker and my alarm clock, and although battery technology has huge variants its still a battery, until its a self replenishing batter (without solar panel) then it runs off the same principal.

No, it's a matter of facts, not guesswork, personal anecdotes, "gut instinct" or "common sense". The same goes for your virus comment in another thread, which you still haven't responded to. hmmm well i would like you add in personal and professional experience.

Exactly

and what virus thing? iso link so i can correct this one as well? (maybe you should go for a walk)

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you read the Battery FAQ link I posted, you would know how to properly calibrate a battery.
    If the battery has never been calibrated, it could be off by 50% or more, not 1%.
    No, proper care and use of batteries varies widely, depending on the technology of the specific battery. You don't calibrate AA batteries or the battery in your car. You don't add water to your MBP battery, like you do in some car batteries. You can't accurately lump all batteries in the same group and treat them the same way.
    When it comes to facts or falsehoods about the topic in this thread, personal and professional experience is irrelevant, but since you asked, I was programming computers for close to 20 years before you were born. Does that help?
    To find the threads you've posted in, go here and click "Find all posts by TopHatPlus"

10. TopHatPlus macrumors 6502

i have 272 posts can you tell me what post number it was?

i can see you have taken this personally so i will remove myself from the conversation, gym > computers

11. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Click on the link to list the posts, then Command-F to find a term on the page. Type "virus" and see what you find.
    I'm not taking this personally. After all, it was you who said:

12. Iphone3gs thread starter macrumors 6502

battery-best use

best efficient way to use the mbp.

Leave the adaptor inside the MBP.

Callibration doesnt need to be done with the new MBP as they have come with 80% already charged.

Once the MBP goes under 50% charge it uses decipates (1 cycle charged will be used up).

Advisable to keep with adaptor and maintain above 50% charged so that minimum amount of cycles are used up.

Answer from Apple technical team.

Got Apple free support: 0800 039 10 10
    Apple support: http://www.apple.com/support/

13. Covart Guest

You must have been a Tandy owner. :D

14. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

AppleCare support recommends that if you leave your Mac plugged in most of the time, unplug it every 2 or 3 days and run on battery down to somewhere around 50%, then plug it back in. That keeps the electrons moving.
    Charge level isn't the same as calibration. You DO need to calibrate a new battery. From: Calibrating a portable computer battery:
    That is not correct. From Determining Battery Cycle Count:
    I sincerely doubt a member of the Apple technical team told you that. If they did, they were completely wrong.
    No, never used a Tandy computer. They were IBM mainframes.

15. Covart Guest

I can only go back as far as DOS based programming from the early to mid 80 on MS DOS 2.0 systems, Loved playing with the Commodore 64 though. Easy enough to make grams there. Now I regret not becoming a hacker of of some sort.