Just bought new MB! how long do I need to charge battery?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by iphonesrq, May 24, 2009.

1. iphonesrq macrumors 6502

Just bought a new MB unibody! How long should I charge battery on first charge? Also, can I use it or do I need to fully charge first???

2. pellets007 macrumors 6502a

pellets007

3. iphonesrq thread starter macrumors 6502

I don't need to calibrate...just need to know if I should charge first before using it....didn't know if I'm supposed to do a full charge to better battery life?

4. pkoch1 macrumors 6502a

pkoch1

But not calibrating it can. It's very important when you get a new device.

That's what calibrating it is. Basically charge it up all the way, keep it charged for a few hours, then use it until the computer dies. Charge it back up to 100% and you are good to go.

5. pellets007 macrumors 6502a

pellets007

It won't matter.

6. pkoch1 macrumors 6502a

pkoch1

Actually, using it is part of what hurts it. A battery's life decreases from overuse or underuse. Calibration and then finding the medium between overuse and underuse will increase the life of a battery.

7. pellets007 macrumors 6502a

pellets007

One cycle isn't going to hurt anything and the lack of using it can deplete it as well. If you just bought it at 0% charge and plugged it in and used it, it would make little difference versus charging it to 100% and then using it.

8. peepboon macrumors 6502

peepboon

Just charge it and enjoy it :) - u will prob end up changing ur laptop wayyy before the battery will die, lol

9. pkoch1 macrumors 6502a

pkoch1

Right, but that one caibration cycle (charging it up, keeping it charged, letting it die, then keeping it dead for a little while, then charging it back up) sets limits for the battery so it can work to its full potential. It really does help, and its a simple thing to do that doesn't take long, so I think its just better to be safe than sorry

Batteries on the MacBook are only covered under warranty for one year, or 300 charge cycles (whichever comes first), because that's about how long they will work under normal use. If you plan on having your computer for more than a year, you will see it start to die. It happens gradually, but in time it really will be noticeable. I still think that it's a very easy thing to do. It only takes one day and can really make a difference for your battery.

10. iphonesrq thread starter macrumors 6502

So is ok to use now....then tomorrow do the calibration?

11. pellets007 macrumors 6502a

pellets007

But that wasn't what he was asking. On his first charge, anything he does to the battery is negligible.

12. pkoch1 macrumors 6502a

pkoch1

The calibration charge cycle should be the first cycle.