Just bought new MBA and getting used to it.

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Tommy c, Aug 8, 2018.

1. Tommy c macrumors regular

Well, this is my first MBA. It's nice and I like its portability. I'm really trying to not let the screen bother me. I find myself doing silly things like looking at it from stupid angles that your not supposed to do lol. I need someone to tell me to stop lol.

I have a 2011 17MBP and 2012 iMac. The videos play nice on here as well, I just know in my colors can shift when you move around.

This thread is one of these, I'm just venting for no reason lol. Does anyone else have a problem with their screen? I can't afford the MBP 13. I got this MBA for 700.00 Brand new at Best Buy with discounts, so I'm not trying to complain.

I do need to get windows on here, as I need to run Windows programs. Does anyone know where I can get Parallels cheap and Windows 10?

Thanks,
    Tommy

2. Audit13 macrumors 68030

Audit13

Congratulations on your purchase. I have an early 2015 Air.

How big is the SSD?

3. Ulenspiegel macrumors 68030

Ulenspiegel

Tommy c, congratulations, enjoy it!
    It is still a wonderful machine.
    Almost forgot, stop looking at the screen from "stupid angles", just forget it. :)

4. Tommy c thread starter macrumors regular

Mine is the 128. I have an iPad Pro 128 256 as well.
    --- Post Merged, Aug 8, 2018 ---
    It is wonderful! I’m
    Trying to forget it!! Lolol

5. Audit13 macrumors 68030

Audit13

If you install Win10, you'll lose a lot of space. I think Win10 itself takes up about 35 GB.

6. Tommy c thread starter macrumors regular

I know, I need Windows tho. This computer is being used in the garage and for my car tuning.

7. Audit13 macrumors 68030

Audit13

Might be easier to get a cheap netbook or laptop.

8. Tommy c thread starter macrumors regular

I tried to do that but, I was just not satisfied.

Windows 10 takes 19GB space. I looked it up. I should be ok. I don’t do any major work on this or need the space for anything else other than radon PDFs ect...

I appreciate it.

9. sracer macrumors 604

sracer

Please don't take what I'm about to say as a personal criticism, but an observation with the intention of helping you find something that will meet your needs and that you'd be satisfied with....

There are few who are a greater fan of the Macbook Air than I am, but I have to say... I recommend that you return the MBA and save up to get something else. The MBA is something that suits someone or it doesn't. Based on your comments, it sounds like it doesn't.

I recommend taking an inventory of the tasks that you need to accomplish with such a device. Evaluate WHAT needs to get done (eg. writing a document) instead of HOW it is done (eg. using Pages to write that document).

Is macOS necessary? You say that you need to run Windows. There are many fine Windows notebooks out there that can be purchased for $700 that won't suffer from the things that are bothering you about the MBA. If you need to have a Macbook now, look on ebay for reputable high-volume sellers. You can buy a 13" MBP that is within your budget.

When one spends $700 on a computer, they shouldn't have to "try not to let the screen bother them", and deliberately go out of their way to find faults like "doing silly things looking at it from stupid angles", or bothered by "colors shifting when they move around". For someone who isn't "trying to complain", you're doing a stellar job at it... imagine what you can accomplish if you really applied yourself. rotflmao.gif

$700 for an MBA is not a bargain if your not delighted with it... or at the very least, satisfied.

In the end, your post wasn't about the MBA in particular but about where to get Parallels?! :eek:

10. Tommy c thread starter macrumors regular

It's not personal. I understand why you would think that. I actually love it and do not regret it. I was trying to be funny in my own way and it does come across like that.

I got a great deal on this brand new and can not complain. I have a 17inch Pro for my works than need that power and screen. I have Parallels as well. I was just saying when everyone complains about something usually people nit pick at it lol. I really am not doing that, more so I was trying to be humorous.

Sorry about that. This MBA really is nice.

11. Falhófnir macrumors 68000

Falhófnir

If you *only* need to run windows 10, then you could apportion most of the 100 or so gigs available out of the box to Windows with the understanding that if you boot into MacOS it'll basically only be useful as a safari web browser. That will probably give you about 80GB free in Windows - as @sracer said, though, if your primary intent is to use it for Windows, there are much better alternatives out there as far as the screen goes (most now come with 1080p IPS panels at this price) and you'll probably get more storage to boot. The MBA's screen is still perfectly usable, but if it bothers you it's part of the computer you interact with the most, so it's something that will always niggle.

12. Rocko99991 macrumors 6502a

Rocko99991

Get a used Lenovo T410. Slap a ssd in there and you have one of the most robust laptops you can get for $100. I used these at work and in the garage and they are built like tanks.