Just bought new MBP, little help?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sharwood, Dec 31, 2008.

1. sharwood macrumors newbie

I bought a macbook air a few months ago as my first mac. I'm now loving the whole mac thing. However, I wanted a more capable system, so I just ordered a new 2.53Ghz Unibody MBP.

My question is, what is the best way and/or the easiest way to transfer all of my files from my macbook air to the new system? I don't currently have an external harddrive, but I have no problem buying one if it will help. If you think I should own an external harddrive, any advice on which one? Also, is there a guide anywhere for how to do this. I'm afraid of losing my itunes (I only have an iphone 3G, not an ipod). Is there a way to just connect the MBP to the MBA and transfer?

Thanks for any help!

2. shoppy macrumors 6502a

I would simply buy an external hardrive do a time machien back up. Then when you get the unibody, stick in os disk. Then restore from your time machine back up to your new machine, quicker and less time consuming then over airport. Or you can simply run cat 5 and transfer data over that. But it does take good few hours. Migration assistant will help you.