Just Bought Old MBP Four Days Ago

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ttoe, Oct 14, 2008.

1. ttoe macrumors newbie

Okay, so I just bought the $1,999.00 Macbook Pro four days ago from the apple store at the local mall. When I bought it none of the sales people told me that a new Macbook was coming out soon, and I'm wondering what the hell I can do now that I spent $1,999.00 for something that became obsolete four days later. Should I call Apple about this? Will they even care? I'm still kind of pissed that no one told me about the new MBP when I was there. I don't know what to do(or if I can do anything, for that matter). Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

2. impreza98 macrumors member

3. ladytonya macrumors 6502a

They do have the 14 day return policy. Plus, Apple is usually pretty good with the customer service. If you bought it at an Apple Store, go back to the same store. I would think they would help you out if you want to get one of the new releases.

4. alexlovesmacs macrumors 6502a

You're very lucky just go return it and exchange it.

5. ttoe thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks guys for all the help, I really appreciate it.

6. SubaruNation555 macrumors 6502

First of all it's certainly not obsolete, it's just not the "latest and greatest." If you like the new one then return it to the Apple Store. If you're opened it, I'd argue against the restocking fee.

7. G5power macrumors 6502

Apple store employees do not have any advance word on any new models and they will never talk about new models or rumors.

Like others have said they will take care of you.

Post back with the outcome so that others in your situation will get some feedback.

8. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

The official "new notebooks" announcement was made last week and rumors of an Oct 14 launch date have been on most Mac fan web sites for over a month, so I'm scratching my head how you missed it. Lesson learned I suppose... read Macrumors before buying next time and you'll save yourself some grief.

Anyway. Official Apple Store policy is If your laptop box is factory sealed you can return it for the new one. If it's open you can return less 10% restock fee ($200) and then buy the new one.

Unofficially you could go back to the Apple store and talk with the manager.. not the assistant manager, not the assistant to the manager, but the head guy manager. Explain your situation <act heartbroken, disappointed, not angry, pissed off, or like Apple owes you> and if he is nice (some are, some not so much) he will either let you do a full swap w/ no restock fee or at least offer you a reduced restock fee.

One other bit of advise. If you do keep the MBP you bought you are still eligible for the Apple 14 day price guarantee. Since the old models have been reduced in price to $1599 and $1799 you would at least be eligible to get some cash back.

Good luck.

9. ptjh macrumors regular

Count yourself lucky if you need 2 FW ports. Otherwise, bummer, you should have waited for the new one (and the subsequent price reductions on the old models). Alot of peope that don't like the new MB pro are after refurb MB pro's os I don't think you'd have a hard time selling it or keeping it.