Just bought one + haven't touched it

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by uninvisibleman, Aug 18, 2010.

1. uninvisibleman macrumors newbie

Hey guys so I don't want to even turn on my brand new Ipod Touch 3rd gen 8g until I know. Some questions:

-If I plug my Ipod into Itunes, will it ask my permission to update, or does it update automatically?

-How do I proceed with jailbreaking it? I don't want to plug my Ipod into Itunes because it will want to update to latest firmware, and latest firmware is impossible to jailbreak. So I want to sit at whatever firmware it has at the moment and not update it so I can jailbreak it.

MUCH appreciated thanks!!

2. mmomega macrumors demi-god

mmomega

yes itunes will ask you

don't update, download update only, or download and install.

3. bigcat.101 macrumors newbie

the only 3rd generation ipod touch's are the current 32g's and 64g's, the 8g is a 2nd generation.

4. uninvisibleman thread starter macrumors newbie

5. SoraLimit macrumors regular

Bigcat is right though, the 8 GB iPod touch Hardware is actually 2nd Gen, even though its remarketed as 3rd Gen.

And the only way to find the iPod touch firmware is if you plugged it in, then go to Setting -> General -> About.

6. uninvisibleman thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for help Soralimit.

So turns out I have Firmware 3.1.3. Where do I go from here?

7. SoraLimit macrumors regular

Well, there are multiple ways to jailbreak. The easiest way to jailbreak, is to go to Safari on your iPod, then go to jailbreakme.com and follow instructions there.

Another way is to use Spirit. Search, download, and install Spirit, then plug in your iPod, and let Spirit do it's job. :):) (However, apparently Spirit doesn't work on iTunes 9.2)

8. uninvisibleman thread starter macrumors newbie

I need to AutoSHSH to save my firmware before I do Spirit, right?