Just bought Powermac G5 with Nvidia Quadro 4500!

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by dazloe, Jan 22, 2009.

1. dazloe macrumors member

Hey there everybody, like many of your I have been waiting for the 'up and coming' nahelem mac pro's. UNTIL :) one of my fellow employee's (at a mac shop) was selling his old G5. he was selling it at a fairly good price with 8 GB RAM, 2.3 dual PPC and an Nvidia quadro 4500. I picked it up for a fairly good price, so I am one happy chap!

I just wanted to know are there any restrictions with software because I am using a PPC? I have been intel the whole time, so I haven't had any issues, but I heard some software won't work with a PPC. I use mainly Logic Pro 8 and heaps of third party plugins. Thanks for your help, this machine will be great for the next six months until Nahelems come out ;)

I also was wondering which operating system will benefit me more? Tiger or Leopard? Tiger is native to the computer so I was thinking of leaving it, but would leopard take advantage of the RAM? Cheers.

2. TrapOx macrumors 6502

3. dazloe thread starter macrumors member

If anyone can help that would be great, I just want to know whether or not installing leopard would take advantage of the RAM and graphics card, cheers.

4. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

Most applications are universal, though some are not. I wouldn't think you'd have any problems with big name programs.

Your machine probably would run Tiger best, but you shouldn't have any problems running Leopard, if there even is any difference in speed. (Unlikely, with your specs.) :)

5. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

I ran a G5 with Leopard, actually ran pretty good. I suggest go the Leopard route, you definitely have ample RAM.

As for software, most Apple released software are universal binaries.

6. zmttoxics macrumors 65816

zmttoxics

Leopard runs OK in my experience, however Tiger is definitely a better performer.

7. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

8. MacVidCards Suspended

fyi...if you decide to get a Mac Pro, you can reflash the Quadro to work in the 2006/07 EFI32 models.

9. dazloe thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the help guys, sounds like I might stick to tiger :)
    That's great about the software to, I was fairly certain most apps were universal binary, but confirmation is great.

As for the price; I paid $900 AUS for it. I'm pretty happy, but I'm thinking of upgrading the hard drives from two 250's to two 500's. Thanks again for your help :)

10. TheReef macrumors 68000

TheReef

Wow that's a very good price considering the RAM and graphics card :eek:

I've only come across games that require intel, most software is fine (except for Premier).

11. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

friggen hell thats an awsome price!!! i have been looking for a cheap G5 for around the price you paid, but on ebay etc there are only 1.8ghz, with say 2gb RAM and a 200gb HD for about $900/$1000..... you have got a rediculously awsome deal!!! i am VERY jealous.

why only 2x500??? go to 4x1tb hahahaha. they are pretty cheap.only $600 all up :p