Just Bought Speakers... Constant Buzz :(

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by superman666, Apr 6, 2009.

1. superman666 macrumors regular

I just purchased some logitech 2.1 speakers for my Macbook Pro, and unfortanetly, there is a pretty noticeable hum or buzz coming from the speakers. When I have the volume for the speakers turned all the way up, and the volume on my computer on mute, it's most loud. It's quite annoying.

I feel like I had this problem with my previous speakers (without a subwoofer) but I resolved it somehow...

What to do, what to do...

2. chainprayer macrumors 6502a

do you get the problem when you attach your speakers to another device? good to rule out the computer vs the speakers

3. jlpoore89 macrumors 6502

i had this problem on a macbook pro with a 2.1 channel system plugged into it. but it only happened when i plugged my printer's usb cable into my laptop.

also it could just be that the amplifier in the speakers is amplifying the residual electric ground current that runs throughout your laptop, as some parts of your laptop are grounded to the case.

4. superman666 thread starter macrumors regular

Meh... It's not bothering me enough to try to move the whole system to a different computer (feeling very lazy right now). Anything I can do that doesn't require movement?

5. waw74 macrumors 68030

1. does it go away if you unplug the power from your laptop?
    2. Are you using the cord with the power adapter instead of the little flip out prongs? (the cord is grounded, the prongs are not)
    3. Does the speaker have the ground plug, and the other things fixed it? if so i would recommend a ground lift (you can get one at any hardware store) or if feeling adventurous just get some pliers and pull the ground pin off your speakers.

6. hazza.jockel macrumors 6502

i have this on my PC. I find that if i move my wireless telephone docking station away from the speakers the buzz less. Also i think it helps if i put my wireless router as far away from them as possible. So are there any wireless device around your speakers? if so move them.

7. superman666 thread starter macrumors regular

1. Yes
    2. For my laptop, i'm using the flip out prongs into a surge protector (not the 3 pronged thing)
    3. Too confused to respond