Just bought the 2015 13" MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Cameron604, Dec 5, 2016.

1. Cameron604 Suspended

I was comparing the 2016 and the 2015 versions. I ended up going with the 2015 version because:
    - The most intense software I use is Photoshop and Lightroom, but not as a job
    - The battery life on the 2015 model is better

I did check out the 2016 model. I really liked how thin it is, and the touchbar is super cool in person. I also like how bright the screen goes. However, the trackpad is comically large, and it seems like battery life will be more reliable on the 2015 model. If they were both the same price, I would have gone with the newer one, but the price difference was near double.

Any recommendations on software / anything I should do setting up the MBP?

2. bluush macrumors 6502

Curious, why not go with the 13" nTB over the 2015 13"? I'm getting 11-12 hours per charge on my nTB

3. Cameron604 thread starter Suspended

The price difference is still quite large. Plus there's only one port on the nTB when charging.

It's a whole mindset thing too: The TB model is $250 more than the nTB. The nTB model is $250 more than the 2015 model. If I were going up to the nTB level of price ($250 more), then I would have gotten the TB model, since it fits in the same line of thinking.

4. bluush macrumors 6502

Well I don't fully understand that thinking. The 2015 base ($1299) doesn't have a touchbar so your 2016 base version ($1499) doesn't need one either. Personally I think the extra $200 for the 2016 base model would be well spent. Plus you get twice as much ssd, better graphics, better keyboard (imo), better screen, better audio, and space gray option.

5. Cameron604 thread starter Suspended

I explained it to you, and you're kind of derailing.

Like I said:
    It's $250 more for the non-TB (student discount pricing)
    It's $250 more from the non-TB to the TB

If I were to spend $250 more to go up to non-TB, then I'd be spending another $250 to go to TB. Simple as that.

In Canadian dollars, it's $410 more to go from 2015 to non-TB 2016, and $330 to go to TB from non-TB.

6. bluush macrumors 6502

Still doesn't make sense, but enjoy your new notebook regardless.

7. nmeed macrumors regular

One thing I've seen overlooked constantly is that the $1300 you are paying for the 2015 version comes with 128GB and to jump up to 256GB, you'll pay $1500. That happens to be the price of the 2016 NTB Mac, which itself comes with 256GB.

8. No. 44 macrumors member

No. 44

I just bought a 13" MBP (2015) as well. I chose it because of the keyboard, ports and MagSafe. Interestingly enough, when I was in an Apple store having a look at the 2016 MBP, a salesperson recommended the 2015 model to me as the better choice right now for exactly these reasons.

Enjoy yours!

9. marc55, Dec 6, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2016

marc55 macrumors 6502a

marc55

I was going to get the 2016 NTB, but with all the issues surrounding the 2016 line, I'm aslo thinking of going with a 2015; however, I hate buying older technology

10. nwngeek212 macrumors newbie

I'm thinking of going with the 2015 15" Pro. At $1899 student pricing it gives amazing bang for the buck.

11. marc55 macrumors 6502a

marc55

Has anyone run across a good review between the 2015 13" and the 2016 non touch 13"?

12. NickPhamUK macrumors 6502

NickPhamUK

For those who're debating whether to get the 2015 or 2016 version (I have the nTB 2016):
    2016:
    - $1499, $200 more expensive
    - Newer machine, if you don't like the feeing of buying something old
    - Slightly more battery life as per Ars Technica.
    - 15W CPU, more likely to throttle under heavy load after long time.
    - CPU: very insignificant power increase over the 2015 version
    - Cooler and quiter
    - Intel HD 540 is much more powerful than the Intel Iris 6100
    - Much brighter display. You can set the display at 60% and it's as bright as the 2015 on max. On max the 2016 is very usable under the sun.
    - Wider color gamut. I don't care about this, but it's useful for photo/video editors.
    - Faster SSD. The SSD's on 2015 are fast enough though.
    - 3lb vs 3.5lb, thinner and smaller form factor. Important for those looking to maximize portability.
    - The hinge is metal (no black plastic). I think it looks better and more uniform this way.
    - A choice of Space Gray color. I went with silver, so no biggie.
    - One extra year of future proofing, for e.g., Apple just stopped supporting 2011 MBAs

2015:
    - If you want 256 GB (I do), you need to churn out another $200. Which means equal price level to the 2016 model. If you don't need 256 GB - it's $200 cheaper.
    - Legacy ports. For photographers, it means you don't have to get adapters for SD card. The majority of external devices still use the USB-A connection.
    - Better keyboard. I can type faster on the 2016 but it doesn't "feel good", plus the noise from typing on the 2016 is significant in a quiet room.
    - MagSafe. This will save you a lot of times.
    - Glowing Apple Logo.
    - Proven to "just works". There are reported graphical glitch on the nTB for e.g., which I have never experienced.

Overall, it depends on which factors you value the most. I don't need the ports, and to me, I want a faster, lighter, smaller, with more battery life. I also need 256GB, so the nTB comes in nicely :).

13. Cameron604 thread starter Suspended

As much as I would have loved to purchase a new (2016) model, it just boiled down to that price difference. The student discount makes the 2015 model even a little more enticing. I didn't need 256GB on the hard drive, nor do I care for the extra thinness (lighter is all I care about at this point, and the difference isn't substantial). The screen is the main thing I like on the 2016 model.

I also am finding that the USB ports are very important to me. In 2 days, I have had to use 4 different USB devices, and I was only carrying the MacBook with me. No way I'm putting dongles in my pocket. I haven't found myself needing to charge & use two additional devices at the same time, but that is something that I have done in the past (unable to without an expansion adapter on the 2 USB port 2016 model).

14. raqball, Dec 7, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2016

raqball macrumors 6502a

raqball

I am considering returning my base TB 2016 for a base 2015 and here is why.... Same as OP = Price!

BNIB 2015 13" MacBook Pro from Adorama (with discount code) = $1124
    BNIB 2016 13" MacBook Pro TB = $1799

Price difference?> = $675

That's a rather large difference.. SSD size is irrelevant to me as I am a home user and have a 4TB USB drive for backups and large files. I like my 2016 TB but I am struggling as to if it's worth that much more $$$ wise..

So why not get the 2016 base? Can't deal with and don't want to deal with 2 ports (really only one since one is used for charging)... If the 2016 base came with 3 USB C's then that would entice me towards it..

15. Barnfather macrumors regular

Barnfather

You're not comparing like-with-like though. You would need to compare the 2015 base model with the non touchbar 2016 machine. Still a differential but as said, the newer model is better kit overall.
    --- Post Merged, Dec 7, 2016 ---
    I find that a little hard to believe, seeing as Apple will be pushing the more expensive new machines now. Anyway, if the salesman did recommend the old model as a 'better choice' then he doesn't understand the benefits of the newer model.

Not hating on the old model at all, but the new one flies, looks better and in my opinion feels better to use. In time, USB-C will be pretty standard. Yeah, losing Magsafe sucks, but the new 'power in any port' has advantages too.

16. raqball macrumors 6502a

raqball

For me I am because I need / want more than the 2 ports that come on the nTB 2016 so the base nTB 2016 with it's whopping 2 ports (one used for charging) is out of the question.. The only way to get more ports is to get the TB version, which is what I currently have...

17. Barnfather macrumors regular

Barnfather

Ok, but it's not a particularly 'fair' comparison is it? Given the TB model has the extra touch-screen.

So it's not really a price issue as the small premium for the nTB over the 2015 is more than justified by the improvements and the differential to the TB model is due to the extra screen. Your issue is a lack of ports in the newer machine, which I can see is an issue if using a hub is out of the question and/or you see no future benefit of the touchbar.

18. raqball, Dec 7, 2016

raqball macrumors 6502a

raqball

Maybe not fair to you but it's fair to me... I want/need more than 2 ports so what is the solution for me to get a 2016 MacBook Pro for $1499 with more than 2? There is none..

The TB is a gimmick right now and for my use serves no purpose.. Maybe in time functionality will come but right now I see no general use for it... It's cool don't get me wrong, just not practical or very useful at the moment...

In order to get more ports on the 2016 I need to spend almost $700 -v- the 2015.. Sorry, but that's not a small premium, that's a rather large one..

What I really wish Apple had done was offer 4 ports on all the machines and differentiate between them via the TB and the slight upgrades in CPU and GPU than come with the TB version..

I won't put down or 2nd guess anyone who wants the 2016 nTB or the 2016 TB or anyone who chooses the 2015 over the 2016.. The 2015 is a very capable machine and it is, for someone like me, quite a bit less $$$$ on the wallet..

I like a lot of things on the 2016 and it's why I am struggling with what to do. On one hand I really like the new machines but on the other hand I see no way, no how it's worth $700 more..

Actually in my case it's over $800 because I purchased my 2016 at the Apple Store and paid sales tax that I'd also get back if it's returned..

BNIB 2015 13" MacBook Pro from Adorama (with discount code & no tax) = $1124
    BNIB 2016 13" MacBook Pro TB (from Apple Store with tax) = $1937

Price difference = $813

19. Barnfather macrumors regular

Barnfather

But as said before the price differential is because the latest model is a superior machine with an additional touch-screen. There will always be a large price saving if you compare with the old machine, even before you factor in the superior tech. That is not unique to Apple... If you buy a new car then you will get a much cheaper deal on stock of the outgoing model, but it doesn't mean that in itself is a reason to get rid of the new one.

Look, if you really can't afford or justify the price of a new one then there is absolutely nothing wrong with sending back and buying the cheaper, older model. Nothing wrong with doing that at all.

But if you take the logic that comparing the cost of something new vs stock of the previous model is enough in itself to justify the switch, then you may as well never buy anything new-to-market as the same would be true of just about anything in life.

Don't bother buying that new coat, buy the old design they are selling out the back. That sports jersey is way more expensive than last seasons in the clearance sale. Why bother buying an LG 4K TV when you can buy a 2014 LG non-4K for half the price and so on....

20. raqball, Dec 7, 2016

raqball macrumors 6502a

raqball

And here we go again with the smug 'you can't afford it' comments...

1. Glad you know my financial situation (spoiler alert - I retired at 45 because I don't squander $$$)
    2. There is a huge difference between can't afford and not seeing the value.

Maybe in the future you can think before posting such smug remarks about people you know nothing about?

21. No. 44 macrumors member

No. 44

I was surprised myself, but I assure you that the Apple employee in question did indeed recommend the 2015 model. I can only assume that there are still people out there who give advice based on their own opinions despite what their employers tell them to "push".

You go on to claim that this person doesn't understand the "benefits of the newer model". Is it possible that you don't understand the drawbacks of the newer model?

At any rate, I'm very satisfied with my new laptop. This is my fourth from Apple, and I'm sure that it won't be my last.

22. macmyworld macrumors regular

macmyworld

Sounds like you had a decent Apple employee.

I had the 2016 and returned it and went back to the 2015. Biggest reason was the keyboard on the 2016 which I hated. Noisy and no play in the keys. My hands blocked seeing the TB, so I didn't see that as an advantage (and my other machines doesn't have it, so hard to get used to)

2016 screen is superior and very nice. Speed wise I really can't tell a difference.

Not sure what I'll do if my 2015 ever dies. Just can't live with the new keyboard.

23. thadoggfather macrumors 604

thadoggfather

If you're a screen aficionado, the 2016 is honestly really nice assuming you get a good hand in the panel lottery like always. it makes me curious how much Apple can improve their displays from here, in real world use, barring black levels which are infinite/ shut off pixels on OLED

I'm really really pumped to have P3 all around: Pro 9.7, 7+, and this.

my watch gen1 isn't P3, but I think I will live :p

24. Cameron604 thread starter Suspended

I definitely wish I had a 256GB hard drive, but for a funny reason: I just wonder how much faster the 256GB would feel like on the 2015 model. The benchmarks show the 128GB is nearly 50% the speed. As far as storage goes, though, I don't need more than 128GB. If I did it all over again, I'd still stick with the 2015 13" 128GB model. That money saved may go toward a new purchase 3 years down the line. I prefer spending about $300-$500 per year on computer hardware, rather than $500-$1000 per year... cost of all computer hardware & accessories divided by useful life.