Just bought the new Imac - Mistake or not

Discussion in 'iMac' started by mosesaro, Oct 20, 2009.

1. mosesaro macrumors member

I have just bought a new iMac and i was wondering if it is a mistake. I got the core i7 with 8 gb of ram. I worried because I heard that USB 3.0 and LIGHt PEaK will hit the market soon. Do you think that new usb 3.0 device will be able to connect to 2.0. Or do you think apple might already thought of that and is hgoing to release a patch to activate usb 3.0 just like they did with the ipod bluetooth. Thank in advance

2. three macrumors 6502a

three

You shouldn't be worried about USB 3 and Light Peak. From what I know USB 3 devices should still be compatible with USB 2, and Light Peak isn't coming until a couple more iMac revisions.

3. cube macrumors G5

USB 3.0 speed requires a new connector, even if the iMac had such a controller inside.

4. supinternet macrumors newbie

supinternet

USB will still be compatible with USB 2. And it still won't come out for a while.
    And even if it did, I'm pretty sure you could probably get some kind of adapter for it or something.

No, you did not make a mistake, congratulations on the new iMac purchase :)
    I'm definitely getting one of those very very soon.

5. PcBgone macrumors 6502

PcBgone

Yes you should be worried. It will out date your new mac the day it comes out. On that day your iMac will cease to function, your hard drive will crash, a meteor will land on your house. /sarcasm

Dude, relax, enjoy the new machine.

6. BoulderBum macrumors 6502a

Lucky you!

I wouldn't worry too much. The thing with technology is that there's always some new standard, interface, or faster processor right around the corner. No matter when you buy, you're pretty much guaranteed that you're not going to have the latest and greatest in a year or two.

Heck, I only bought my Mac Mini about 6 months ago and there's already something newer (which is fine with me, though, as it does what I want it to perfectly well).

7. The Samurai macrumors 68000

The Samurai

I think you should wait for USB 4 which is due to be launched sometime in the future. I would say wait for that. And when its going to be launched, you might as well hang in there for USB 5.

8. Outrigger macrumors 68000

Outrigger

I disagree, I think his imac that hasn't shipped is kinda outdated already, he should cancel his order and wait til 2015 when green ray ships even though there's barely any products out there that supports USB 3.

9. cube macrumors G5

No, I agree with the OP that it's bad timing, given that USB 3.0 is coming out.

And there's always the issue of Blu Ray.