just bought the new macbook 13

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by imeth, Jul 12, 2011.

1. imeth macrumors regular

just curious and might be stupid but what is the other big power ac cord for? i don't see a plug on the end to fit on my macbook. thanks

2. simsaladimbamba

3. ladytonya macrumors 6502a

I still don't get the point of the two cords. Why does one have the third grounding prong and one doesn't? The sales person said the one cord was longer, but it only seems slightly longer. The only real explanation in the documentation is on how to remove the plug from the MagSafe adapter and put it on the other cord, but there is no real explanation as to when you should use one or the other plug. I just thought it was strange so I can understand why the OP might be confused.

4. simsaladimbamba

The User Guide says this:
    I don't know, if the word "extend" has that many meanings in English, but I understood it as extension cable when I bought my iBook. I seldom used it, but with my MBPs, I use it more often. It extends the reach by 1.5m, which can be sometimes helpful.

5. Deedolito macrumors regular

Deedolito

The AC power cord saved my day so many times ... You'll notice why as soon as you simply need more range!

Unless you don't need the range, you're fine without it of course.

6. ladytonya macrumors 6502a

I guess I just don't need the extra range so I never use it. I have power strips all over my house so pretty much wherever I am, if I need a plug there isn't one too far away!

Another thing I really don't understand is why the AC charger had the grounding prong and the MagSafe doesn't. Wouldn't it be safer to use the AC cord because of the grounding plug, or is the grounding build into the block or whatever you call it on the MagSafe adapter?

7. Philflow macrumors 65816

with the additional cord, the total cord is ~ twice as long.

8. Salukipilot4590 macrumors 6502

Salukipilot4590

I use the cord about 50% of the time when I'm on the road.

When I'm at home or in the crashpad I usually use it so I can sit on the couch without being 6 feet from the plug.

Other than that it's not really needed but it's nice to have.

9. riptideMBP macrumors 6502

also, the power brick is not very conducive to public environments, anyone in college or at a coffee shop/airport would have a much easier time plugging their laptop in using the extender