Just bought this and have questions

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by 420benz, Feb 15, 2016.

1. 420benz macrumors 6502

420benz

Refurbished: Apple Laptop MacBook MB061LL/A Intel Core 2 Duo 2.0GHz 1 GB Memory 80 GB HDD Intel GMA950 13.3" Mac OS X v10.4 Tiger
    I don't install music or photos. I will only be using it for email and searching the web. My question is do I have enough memory and should I update to the latest OS?
    Thanks

2. east85 macrumors 65816

east85

With at least 2GB of RAM the latest OS you can run is 10.7 (Lion). I however would not run Lion, if you opt to upgrade I would settle on 10.6 (Snow Leopard) as it is an optimal release for your hardware.

Your model can be upgraded to 4GB of RAM, 667 MHz PC2-5300 DDR2 SDRAM is the type. You can buy two sticks at 2GB a piece to achieve 4GB of RAM. Upgrading I think is at your discretion, you've mentioned that all you want to do is search the web and use email, so if you feel like the performance is acceptable then there would be no need to upgrade. If you run into hiccups though, I would look into upgrading the RAM to 4GB and getting Snow Leopard.

3. 420benz thread starter macrumors 6502

420benz

Thanks. Since this is a refurbished notebook, do you think it will be back to the factory settings ? BTW: I haven't received it yet.

4. east85 macrumors 65816

east85

It's so hard to tell because the refurbishment process is radically different depending on who is doing the work unfortunately. I would definitely directly contact the seller or company and ask them about their process, they should be able to clear it up for you.

The only refurbishment process I'm familiar with really is Apple's own refurbished program. Sorry about that.

5. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Inaccurate.
    The OP has a MacBook2,1 (the GMA950 is the clue here), so you can install 2 x 2GB, but only 3GB will be used.
    The only advantage would be a measurable speed increase due to a matched set of RAM installed, but even that would not be noticeable in real use.
    You would get significantly better performance by upgrading the internal hard drive to an SSD. You can find useful 120GB SSDs for less than $40, if you watch the internet sites like Amazon.com
    I agree with the Snow Leopard upgrade, as that will be a good fit for the hardware.

6. east85 macrumors 65816

east85

Thanks for catching that, totally missed the asterisks under maximum ram on everymac.

7. 420benz thread starter macrumors 6502

420benz

Thanks for all of your help guys. I'll be back when I receive the MacBook.