Just bought Time Capsule 1TB

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by divedeepfl305, Mar 2, 2008.

1. divedeepfl305 macrumors newbie

Waiting on my :apple:Time Capsule 1TB:apple:, wondering who is waiting to? Mine says it will ship March 12:(

2. forrest368 macrumors member

I ordered a 500GB Time Capsule and it says it will arrive on tuesday!

3. starprincess8 macrumors newbie

starprincess8

I am waiting to order one until I hear how things are going with them. There is already some news about false advertising with them :confused:, so I want to see what is in the near future! I really want one though!!

4. HazChem macrumors regular

I picked mine up from the closest Apple store yesterday. I went there last night looking for the 500GB and came out with the 1TB.

Set it up this morning on my MBP and Vista box and it works like a charm. The first TM backup took about 8 hours.

5. forrest368 macrumors member

1. What made you go with the 1TB....as I almost got the 1TB but then decided not to. I ask this because I have never had an external hard drive and do not know how fast they fill up given that it is linked with time machine. Was it a bad idea to get a 500GB?

2. When my new penryn MBP gets here on March 7th:D I will set up my time machine (which is supposed to get here on Tuesday). How exactly did the initial setup work? Could you explain it a little just so I know what to expect? Was it easy...could you do things on the computer as it was setting up or no?

I'm SO EXCITED!!!

6. SwiftLives macrumors 65816

SwiftLives

My 1TB gets here Tuesday or WEdnesday.

I went with the 1TB because I have 2 computers to back up to it, and I want something that's going to last me for awhile.

7. soccerjoe5 macrumors regular

are there any in-depth reviews on it yet? it sure looks awesome, i think i'll save up for it. i was thinking of just getting a lacie 250GB for hell cheap on ebay but being able to backup wirelessly sounds so cool on a MBP

8. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

In what way?

9. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

^^ The whole "server grade harddisk" issue, or non-issue, depending on how you look at it. Whether you think it's purposely misleading, or entirely false advertising, is up to you. I think Apple calling it server grade was done in a purposely misleading way, as you think you're getting a better harddisk that has been produced under more stringent specifications. In reality, it hasn't.

Anyway, don't buy the harddisk because it's "server grade". If you did, then there really wasn't much point. Buy it because you want a (supposedly) good harddisk that can be accessed and backed-up to wirelessly.

Personally, I don't know much about Hitachi drives. All I know is that I had wanted either a Seagate or Western Digital harddisk, and I'm not buying a Time Capsule even if it sounds nice.

Also, I don't like the idea of having both my wireless access point and harddisk in one machine. If something happens to one, I (sort of) lose both.

10. wheelhot macrumors 68020

I dont know much bout Toshiba drives but I hope its good.

As for me, I will never buy a Maxtor or Seagate hard disk cause I have very bad experience with them. Go Western Digital!!!

11. georgeoommen macrumors regular

Regarding the TM backups, are these created as a sparsebundle which the mac then mounts every time it has to do a backup or is it a simple file structure much like what you get when u connect the mac directly to an external hard drive?

I found network backups to be quite sketchy when it was creating sparsebundle images, so just wondering what they are doing now.

Please do let me know if my question is not clear and i'll try and explain what i meana little clearer..

12. iSwitchd macrumors member

13. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

After reading that thread and looking at some of the articles presented I don't think Apple falsely advertised at all. The drive in the Time Capsule is called server grade by the manufacturer so there is nothing wrong with Apple calling it that as well. It's the same drive that is in the XServe, according to some people in the know. I guess time will tell if these HDs perform well.

14. himansk macrumors regular

15. Mindflux macrumors 68000

Mindflux

Good luck. My stores were out :(

16. design-is macrumors 65816

design-is

Mine will be delivered towards the end of the month with my new MBP :)

Happy times :)

17. SDDave2007 macrumors regular

My 1T Time Capsule arrived at my local FedEx ... one hour ago.... so it will probably be deliversed today..... Hope the wife is hope to sign for it...

EDIT : Mine arrive 90 minutes after I posted this..... now to get home from work to open it

18. forrest368 macrumors member

WOO HOO mine is in ALASKA!

It says it estimated arrival is March 5th by 10:30 AM......
    BUT Apple said in the shipment email "Delivers by March 4th".
    I'm SO CONFUSED:eek: Does anyone know which is more accurate?

19. AliensAreFuzzy macrumors 68000

AliensAreFuzzy

I'd go by what the carrier tracking website says.

20. rfrankl macrumors 6502

My wife signed for mine this morning. Will get to see it in about 45 minutes. :D

21. divedeepfl305 thread starter macrumors newbie

How did it work on Vista

How did it work on Vista was it easy to setup I have a Vista box I don't mind backing up to it as well.

22. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

Vista is not compatible with Time Machine but it can wirelessly access the HD.

23. HazChem macrumors regular

I got the 1TB because they were out of the 500GB. Simple as that and I didn't want to leave without a TC!

As far as I can tell, when I go into the TC folder, I see the backup as a xxx.sparsebundle

1. See above. In retrospect, I am glad I went with the 1TB instead if for nothing else but to have that extra 500GB for future backups or file needs.

2. It was super easy to set up using the AirPort Utility. I just followed the wizard and was able to use the network I had already set up with my Belkin. No need to recreate the network or security settings.

I am pleased with TC. I will however have to get used to the fan running in the background. It is not loud by any means, but when the desktop is off and there is complete silence, I can hear the whirr of the fan.

24. tony-in-japan macrumors regular

The TC 1TB uses a Hitachi hard-drive and the 500GB model actually uses a Seagate hard-drive.

I don’t think Time Capsule was falsely advertised either.

Both the Seagate and Hitachi drives that are used in both TC models are documented as being suitable to be used as ‘servers’. Apple even uses the Hitachi one in their Xserves, so has the right to advertise them as ‘server-grade’ in my humble opinion.

Anyway, I am also waiting for my Time Capsule. 500GB model... can’t wait!!:)

25. WannaGoMac macrumors 65816

The review state that the ethernet connection for backup is ghastly slow for some reason. You seeing this as well?