Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jnagar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 4, 2010
So, I just bought a JB'en iphone 3g tonight.
Went ahead and unlocked it using ultrasn0w.
Connected it to my mac/itunes, and it asks "an iphone has been previously synced with this computer. setup as a new iphone -or- restore the backup of ***"

So, since I had purchased apps using my *** phone (actually was an ipod touch that i got rid of), I'm thinking that I should restore the backup so that I can get my paid apps back for free.

Questions:
-will restoring this backup to the new unlocked phone restore it to its original locked state (i.e. will i have to re-jailbreak/unlock)? or will it simply restore preferences, etc...?
-otherwise, if i call this phone a new name, is there a way to transfer my purchased apps to the new phone's account?

thank you!
(p.s. I did search extensively for this question for the last hour, and finally gave up to ask the public at large)

thelatinist

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2009
Connecticut, USA
You don't need to restore from backup to sync your apps, and it is never a good idea to use a backup on a different phone. You will lose saved game scores and saved MMS, but you will be much better off. Just set up as a newphone and then sync what you want.

jnagar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 4, 2010
so the apps i've purchased aren't tied to a particular/specific device? assuming music follows the same rules...

thanks,
--j

dacapo

macrumors 6502
Jan 25, 2010

I know apps are tied to the iTunes and not to the device. That is, you buy once and that's it; if you purchase or install again, the App Store will recognize an app as being already in your account.

But with music, you can end up buying a song more than once, so you do want to be careful with song purchases, since the music industry will want a royalty from each song sold. Of course, you are allowed to have copies on up to 5 devices, but if you somehow end up purchasing a song again, your account will be charged again. (I'm not sure about movies.)

thelatinist

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2009
Connecticut, USA
I know apps are tied to the iTunes and not to the device. That is, you buy once and that's it; if you purchase or install again, the App Store will recognize an app as being already in your account.

But with music, you can end up buying a song more than once, so you do want to be careful with song purchases, since the music industry will want a royalty from each song sold. Of course, you are allowed to have copies on up to 5 devices, but if you somehow end up purchasing a song again, your account will be charged again. (I'm not sure about movies.)

Almost all music in the iTunes store is now DRM-free and can be used on any number of devices without restrictions.

dacapo

macrumors 6502
Jan 25, 2010
Almost all music in the iTunes store is now DRM-free and can be used on any number of devices without restrictions.

You're right, I think, as far as DRM is concerned. What I'm referring to is the way iTunes handles transactions. The App store is smart enough to stop you from paying for the same app twice, but the iTunes music store will in fact charge you twice if you happen to press "buy" twice. Maybe this has nothing to do with what the OP was asking. But just a couple days ago, I ended up replacing my day-old iPhone due to an AT&T mistake and therefore ended up having to re-fill my new iPhone. So, I was testing out whether apps could be paid for twice (the answer was no) and then I just tried to purchase the same song twice (the answer is yes, they charged me again). Just thought it was interesting.

So, my point is simply that maestrokev's statement that the "iTunes purchases are tied to an account, not a device" should not be taken as a blanket statement. iTunes has different "transaction models" for different product types.

maestrokev

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2007
Canada
The OP was asking about transferring apps. If you end up buying the music again, a quick email to iTunes will result in a refund.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.