Just bought VZ iPhone - protection question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by NYU02, Feb 11, 2011.

1. NYU02 macrumors regular

I hate have a case and screen protector on it. Is it necessary for normal use? How easy does it scratch?

thanks,
    NYU02

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Depends on how OCD you are about it

I use mine naked and have since launch day
    I have no problems with it

I carry it in my left pocket not my right (keys)

3. SAD*FACED*CLOWN macrumors 65816

SAD*FACED*CLOWN

Get a bumper... if your phone drops any distance and lands on it's side it will break, dent or scratch...

4. richpjr macrumors 68030

richpjr

If you want the minimalist approach, use the bumper. I tried one for a while, but it felt "vulnerable" so I bought a case and screen protector.

5. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

You could get one of those super slim cases for your phone. While they don't offer a whole lot of protection, it should be enough to at least keep your phone from getting scratched up without adding too much bulk.

6. elan123 macrumors 6502

I agree... gotta go with a screen protector tho, imo.

7. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

If it were an AT&T phone you'd want full protection. Since you said it's a VZW phone, I'd get a bumper and be done with it.

8. ulbador macrumors 68000

ulbador

+1.. I baby my phones and my AT&T one is scratched to hell. The plastic button of my front shirt pocket is seemingly enough to cut deep scratches.

When I got mine Verizon one yesterday at Best Buy, I went for the full screen protector/case combo.

9. bennyhenry macrumors newbie

I used the bumper, and now have a hell-load of scratches on the bezel where dust and crap has got between the bumper and the phone :'( I think this might because it was one from an early release of bumpers with softer rubberised buts, as ones that I have handled since have a much stiffer rubber on them (and have not let in any dust).
    Use an invisible shield for the front and back though. They take a few minutes to install, but have a nice feel to them and protect against any scratches :)

10. xAnthony macrumors 65816

xAnthony

I have just a case on my phone. No screen protector.. Honestly I don't understand why people become so overprotective of their device. Why would you protect something to resell later? You don't even get the real joy out of using the device. It's like you're saving it for the next person to use. The only reason why I have a case is because I drop the phone a lot. Or I'd go naked without it. Use the phone the way YOU want to use it. You're going to get a new phone in a year or two, so you might as well enjoy the amazingness and slimness of the phone.

11. JASApplications macrumors 65816

It scratches pretty easily. Get a bumper imo.

12. kicko, Feb 11, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2011

kicko macrumors 65816

I have front and back protectors, i am ocd-ish but honestly you cant even tell they are on, so it protection without any notice. I did also throw on a bumper just for the minimal "lay on the table" protection.

I forgot to mention with my sgp protectors it also included side protection which i did put on and have the bumper over it just fine. I guess i am more ocd then i thought. :)

13. onepoint macrumors 6502a

onepoint

I use an Incipio Feather case and love it. The front glass is bare. I keep the phone in a pocket by itself, and I don't put it on tables face-down. I know, it's difficult.

14. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

I've been using mine since launch and so far no scratches whatsoever on neither the front or back glass.

Compared that to my 3GS, I used it naked as well and it has light scratches all over the back cover.

15. digitard macrumors 6502a

digitard

I like the naked look, personally.

I plan on getting Wrapsol and giving that a try for minor scratch protection. Other than that just be careful not to drop it in general.

16. aldo82 macrumors regular

You get a much better experience using the iphone naked, especially the screen. No screen protector can compete with the naked glass. Personally I use a leather pouch for protection in my pocket but the iphone is naked in use. I've tried a bumper and screen protectors but felt wrapping it in plastic spoilt it!