JUST BOUGHT Western Digital My Book Pro Edition 500GB

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by tooshaggy, Aug 3, 2007.

1. tooshaggy macrumors regular

tooshaggy

I just bought a Western Digital My Book Pro Edition 500GB.
    Anyone have any reviews??
    Did I make a mistake?
    I don't think so. Western Digital is a pretty good brand, arn't they?:confused:
    My 500 gig LaCie d2 Quadra 500GB is starting to make bad bad noises, and I have a weary feeling about it.
    :apple: forever

2. Electro Funk macrumors 65816

Electro Funk

i just picked one up as well as i ran across a sale price that i could not resist.

the only thing i don't like about it is that you cant daisy chain it with another external. but for the price i paid for 500 gigs, i couldn't pass it up. Now i can back up the entire 500 gig drive on the iMac! YaY...

EDIT: Hmmm. just realized you said you bought the pro edition. with the blinky lights in the front that tells you how full the HD is? I assume on the pro addition they have FW & USB and that one can be daisy chained with other external devices. i just bought the regular 500 gig my book...

3. MacBlackBook22 macrumors 6502

MacBlackBook22

I have 3 My Book HD's. All are 500G. 2 are the essential and one is the pro version. They are all working just great with my macs and with the XP office machine using the Airport Extreme... I think you made a good choice

4. weckart macrumors 68040

You can daisy chain FW800 on the Pro. There is only one of each other type of port.

5. MacDonaldsd macrumors 65816

MacDonaldsd

I have the standard 500GB one and it works great.

6. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

Yes, you should be able to. I have 5 of these bad boys. The reason I say you should is because my Powermac G5 didn't seem to have the chipset or enough power to daisy chain but my Macbook Pro SR and Powermac G4 1.5 Ghz could daisy chain Firewire 800 drives with no problem. The speed of backing up is so much faster than FW400.

By the way, I noticed that MacSales.com sells 500 GB drives for $100 bucks and an enclosure supporting FW800, USB, eSATA, and FW400 for around $100 bucks. I was backing up from My Book to My Book but found that for backups, I really just need a single enclosure that I share with standard SATA 500 GB drives. It cuts down the cost to backup my "My Book" drives.

7. kbleicher macrumors newbie