Just broke my display somehow

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Rasan, Sep 15, 2011.

1. Rasan macrumors member

Hey...

i am so angry right now. i was watching tv and had my mba besides my bed installing software. after some minutes the screensaver went on and i saw theres a dent in my screen on the lower left side. i dont know where it comes from, it looks like something hit the screen, but i didnt notice anything and i cant explain what and how. the MBA is not even to weeks old. i guess there is no chance at all applecare will fix this? i tried to call but its not in their working hours.

2. KPOM macrumors G5

AppleCare doesn't cover accidental damage. You might check to see if your credit card does, however, as some will for damage done in the first 90 days.

Is the actual LCD damaged, or is there just a dent in the bezel? If it's the latter, then maybe just take it in to have it bent back to prevent further damage. If it's the former, then it is likely a fairly pricey repair, but still less than the cost of a new Mac. Consider taking out a personal articles policy from your insurer in the future if you are concerned about this sort of thing.

3. Rasan thread starter macrumors member

Its the LCD, you can't feel the dent with the hand, but you can see it when the Display is on. The Photo is quality is not really good, sorry. I dont know if it was accidental, i didnt notice anything hitting the screen and i cant imagine what did, but it looks like it. LCD Panels dont crack by themselves i guess...

Attached Files:

4. KPOM macrumors G5

Take it in and see what happens. If the crack is from the inside, that might indicate a production defect that caused the crack. The repair center will do some inspections to see if they can tell if it was caused by direct contact, or if it was a defect. If it's the latter they will cover it. If not, it's probably about $600 to replace the screen.

5. Rasan, Sep 15, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2011

Rasan thread starter macrumors member

Thanks a lot for your advice. I will call apple again tomorrow, and then go to the nearest reseller. I just cant wrap my mind around what happened, i'm just devastated. I mean i cant even find an object that could have caused this anywhere near. As i am in Austria, i guess the Display would cost me about 600€, which i cant afford right now. Will the problem get worse over time? I guess the liquid crystals will strat coming trough the cracks.

6. lcseds macrumors 6502a

That is a direct contact breakage that is not related to any hinge or stress point. Something smacked that pretty good. Not sure how it was next to you and you heard nothing.

7. rhinosrcool macrumors 65816

rhinosrcool

This my assumption, as well. Even so, I would just bring it in. From some past posts, some members were, for no charge, able to get theirs fixed. Goodluck.

8. RobQuads macrumors regular

Looks most likely that someone was left on the laptop while the screen was closed onto it.

9. Nioxic macrumors regular

yeah like a pen or something like that.. .:<

doesn't look good!

10. ZipZap macrumors 601

The only thing that make sense is you closed it hard onto something. Otherwise, perharps something was mismounted inside and finally succumb.

Dont think apple is apt to give you an honest assessment of responsibility, as this is a huge profit repair for them. Nevertheless, ask for help.

11. Rasan thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for your comments.

I went to a store today, the employee was really nice, but he said he couldn't do anything. I left him my email, he will send me a estimate of the costs.

Do you think it's worth to try to go to other applestores?

I guess it wouldn't help. I am a college student and really don't have any money at the time, i thought the macbook would last me atleast a few years, and now this... i am so angry with myself, even though i dont know what happend.

12. TheRealDamager macrumors 65816

From the picture it looks like the screen is still usable - is just using it as is for a while an option?

13. Kendo macrumors 68000

The computer is still completely usable in my opinion. I don't think it would be worth paying 1/3 of the cost of the MBA just to get that dent in the monitor fixed.

Instead of paying more out of pocket right now, I would instead take the loss when you sell it a few years down the road to replace it with a newer model.

14. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Nope, they don't cover physical damage not due to defect.

Typically they write a note that's associated with the computer, so going to other stores won't help.

15. christophermdia macrumors 6502a

christophermdia

something similar happened to me, although mine was my son stepping on my screen. I bought my mac with my AMEX, and they reimbursed me the cost of replacing the screen ($500 from apple). If you got it with a credit card, I would check their accident insurance policy......

16. Rasan thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for your answers.

Yes, use it the way it is will be my last option. I wonder if the dent will get bigger with time.

I paid with my uncles mastercard gold, but i couldn't find anything but traveling accidents... so i guess i'm ****ed.

17. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

As has already been said if you bought the Air with a credit card you may well be insured, also if you live with your folks it may be covered under their household insurance policy.

18. jrtaylor6 macrumors member

jrtaylor6

19. ZipZap macrumors 601

Gold Card?

Have your uncle call his credit card company and ask the question.

----------

Not wise to make a home owners claim for such a small item unless you have a special rider for it.

20. KPOM macrumors G5

It depends. I don't know about Austria, but in the US there is usually a deductible of $500. I took out a special policy for my MacBook Air that covers accidental damage. It has a $250 deductible but is only $33/year. After my little spillage incident with my last MacBook Air, I figured it would be worth it to cover an $1800 computer (cost of top-of-the-line 11" after tax).

Anyway, to the OP, try to see if there is an authorized Apple repair center. They might be able to repair it for a little less than Apple, or at least let you know if it will get worse over time. If it's just a dent to the plastic you might be OK, but if the glass underneath is broken it might eventually get worse.

Another potential option is to see if anyone is selling a screen on eBay, since the one from the late 2010 model would be compatible.

21. Bob Coxner macrumors 6502a

It varies. I just happened to add a computer rider to my homeowner's policy today. $7 per $1000 of coverage with a $100 deductible. It covers accidental damage as well as loss.

22. Rasan thread starter macrumors member

Thanks a lot for your advice.

I think i found something: The credit card covers up to 1000 € for damaged or stolen items within 45 days of the purchase, if i read correctly. I think there might be some hope after all!

23. KPOM macrumors G5

Good luck! Have your uncle file a claim with the credit company and go ahead and have Apple give you a repair estimate. You'll need that to file the claim.

24. lcseds macrumors 6502a

Yes, good luck. And taking it to other Apple stores will not help. That serial number is already on the Apple system as damaged. They are waaaay ahead of you on that kind of stuff.

25. plumosa macrumors regular

plumosa

The problem with doing that is that the next time something goes wrong and you need to file a claim, the insurance company will most likely either throw a fuss and or raise your rates to the point that you are uninsurable. Its better to eat a small claim like that and keep it for bigger claim like storm damage, fire or burglary where you can't possibly cover it on your own.