Just brought a mac .. few questions

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by lewis92, Mar 5, 2011.

1. lewis92 macrumors newbie

Can someone explain the .dmg file to me please. Whenever I install something now I obviously get dmg files instead of executable files. After I have installed the program then delete the .dmg the programs wont run?

How can I maximise a window such as safari?

When I run an application why does it appear on my desktop in the top left corner?

Sorry for the simple questions - I've used windows for 15 years, and a mac for a day now.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

1) When you mount the disc image, drag the application icon to your Desktop or to your Applications folder. Launch from the Desktop/Applications folder; then you can delete the Disk image and eject the mounted image.

2) Click the green "+" button for an approximation of maximize. There is no equivalent to Windows' "maximize" behavior.

3) That's just how the OS works.

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

DMG is a virtual disk. It holds the install media which in most cases is just the app itself. You need to drag the app from the DMG to your Applications folder.

Drag it to the left corner of your screen and then from the right bottom corner of the window, drag it to full screen.

You can access its preferences and stuff like that from the Menu Bar. In Windows, apps had their own equivalent to Menu Bar.

4. Knoodles macrumors 6502

Knoodles

You will have to wait for OS 10.7 "Lion" for full screen maximize.

5. lewis92 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the quick reply, so every time I run a downloaded program, It will mount and show top right of my desktop?

6. Flake macrumors regular

Flake

the .dmg usually contains the .app, the application itself, and a shortcut to the Applications folder on the hard disc, just drag the .app into your Applications folder and you won't need to mount the dmg again