Just Buy It

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Adokimus, May 4, 2010.

1. Adokimus macrumors 6502a

Adokimus

Haven't posted in awhile, but I'd like to just share my cool story for you bros:

I have wanted to buy a MBP since 2001. I can pinpoint it because my friend Ingrid had one and that's when I first saw it. I immediately loved the metal construction and the completely different UI. I FINALLY bought one for my birthday just a few weeks ago. I first put it off because they didn't use intel processors like my PCs. Then I put if off because the core duos were lousy chips. Then it was the fact that I didn't like the single mouse button despite the two finger tricks or that the screen resolution was so low. Then it was that the nvidia 8600M had issues. Then I wanted to wait for Snow Leopard. I almost bought the last revision, but I thought the graphics card was too weak and didn't like logging on and off to go back and forth between graphics. I had also thought they might give us usb 3.0 or any number of other features with the next revision. I am the King of "unofficially waiting for... whatever." I even bought a used PowerBook three years ago to help me with my mac fix, but it's not very powerful these days.

As I said, I finally bought one. I went with the 17" Core i7 MBP with the matte screen. I LOVE IT. It's hardly any bigger than the 15" but it has a much smaller bezel. It's a powerhouse with no rival for battery life per performance. I love the unibody construction (thought it can be a tad rough on the wrists at times). The processor is a huge leap in performance, not just an evolution. The graphics card isn't blowing anyone's mind, but it's a decent improvement (especially with the on-the-fly switching). The screen, oh my the screen! And the 17" still has the FW 800 and an expressport slot and seperate ports for mic and headphones (who knows how long they'll stay).

This is the best computer I have ever owned. And, unlike every revision before it, I haven't yet seen floods of complaints on the forums about screen issues or graphics issues or whatever. It is, in short, damn near perfection given our current technology. Yes, something better will always be around the corner. But next, we'll have to deal with lightpeak instead of mini-DP and USB. And there will be another whole set of adapters and compatibility issues, and the removal of firewire, and so on and so on, or some new graphics card that has issues, or touch-screens and all sorts of other things that will make it a Rev. A product.

If you are a constant waiter, like I am, now is the perfect time to make that purchase. And when these new technologies come out, we can continue to wait for 3-5 more years for them to reach perfection again while we enjoy our perfect computers. Live in the moment, you will not regret it. JUST BUY IT.

Sorry for the long rant, but I find people are more likely to make a post when they have some sort of issue. I wanted to share my positive experience. I'm not saying that I won't have any issues later on, or that no one's computer will, but for now I am extremely happy with my purchase. Good luck fellow waiters!

2. realz macrumors member

+1 Live in the moment, your computer will never stay the best ever for long.

3. Relznuk macrumors 6502

Relznuk

+1

4. jmdMac macrumors regular

+1
    I am typing this on my first mac ever. Couldn't be happier with it. Call the "apple tax" what you want, I will gladly pay it if this is the quality I can expect.

5. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

nice :]
    just take care of it and it'll stay in a mint condition :]

6. Adokimus thread starter macrumors 6502a

Adokimus

Definitely doing my best! I spent too much money after waiting soooo long and saving not to be. I bought an incase sleeve at the store and use my regular backpack. Any other things I should be doing? I checked the macrumor's guides and calibrated my battery, not sure what else is pressing. I was debating going for the speck case for extra protection, but I've heard it can scratch the aluminum!