Just bypassed the lock screen

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by symphara, Jan 6, 2017.

1. symphara macrumors 6502a

2016 15", just opened it (was sleeping for a while, didn't turn it on yesterday), and it didn't ask for a password or fingerprint, it simply bypassed the lock screen completely and went straight to the desktop.

I haven't changed the default settings and just checked, they're set to lock after 5 minutes of sleep.

Anyone else has seen this? Fairly worrying if anyone can simply get into the machine like this.

2. fs454 macrumors 68000

Open spotlight and type "Feedback Assistant". Fill out the form, make sure you note the correct OS build you have running (apple/about this Mac and click "Version 10.12.x" to reveal the build number). It'll collect extensive logs on the system and send them with your feedback. It's the best way to get this into the eyes of Apple.

Haven't seen this myself yet, though, and I've had one since November.

3. symphara thread starter macrumors 6502a

It says it's for the Apple Beta Software Program only, and I haven't signed up for that. It won't let me log in. I'm certainly not running a beta version of OSX, it's stock 10.12.2.

4. dhw01 macrumors newbie

If security really important, probably try set to lock immediately instead of waiting 5 minutes. I gurss it's possible that some apps prevent the laptop from sleep during the 5 minutes periods?

5. aevan macrumors 68030

aevan

Sleep can get buggy, maybe it didn't go to sleep even though the lid was closed? (No idea, but who knows)

Try turning on the option to have it lock immediately after sleep and test it for a few days.

6. dbagg macrumors member

dbagg

13" 2016 (no touch bar) had this happen twice. Also not on the beta.

7. CE3 macrumors 65816

On my 2015 model I can usually initiate sleep mode (press the power button) and get back into the desktop without a password within 5-10 minutes. Sounds like you're saying the computer was sleeping for an entire day, though.

8. symphara thread starter macrumors 6502a

I only had Safari, Chrome and iTerm running. There's barely any software installed on it on top of stock and not the resident variety (eclipse, Xcode, this kind of stuff).

It must have been sleeping, it wasn't plugged in and the battery wouldn't last two nights and a day. I'll try the immediate lock.

Correct, more han 24h.

9. devrules81 macrumors member

Mine has done this twice in the past week. 2016 15" not on beta. I've had it since launch week and have had no issues the whole time until this past week.

10. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

11. vipergts2207 macrumors 68000

vipergts2207

12. blairian89 macrumors 6502

blairian89

I have not had this happen to me. With as fast as these computers boot and operate, I generally shut down my machine entirely if I am going to be away from it for any appreciable amount of time.

13. iKrivetko macrumors 6502a

14. dumastudetto macrumors 68030

I've seen this happen several times recently on both older models and the current generation 15 MBP with TB. All running the latest version of macOS. All have the Apple Watch unlock feature enabled.

15. Marshall73 macrumors 65816

Marshall73

I have the user set to appear in the top right of the task bar. Then when leaving the computer I click it and choose goto lock screen

16. carlos916 macrumors regular

carlos916

any update on this issue, this has happened to me more than enough times that i can say its a software security flaw..