Just called Apple about Leopard student discount price

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mwxiao, Aug 9, 2007.

1. mwxiao macrumors regular

iLife '08 is not $39 for student discount, so I was wondering what kind of price would Leopard be for a student.

I just called Apple and they told me it would be $69.

I still doubt it. Let's see.

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

its always been that price i don't see why they'd change it. but hopefully they won't.

i'd imagine the R&D/price ratio is tighter on iWork and iLife thus a much smaller discount.

3. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

If not, at the very least I imagine your campus bookstore would sell Leopard with an educational discount.

4. ThePrimeDreamer macrumors newbie

From what I know that's the right price. For the normal $79 iLife or iWork, it's only $39 for the student discount. For a new Mac OS X version, retail is $129 and student's version is $69.

5. thebrain74 macrumors regular

I think what the OP is trying to get across is that iLife Edu used to be $49 (I think) and it is now $71, virtually negating the student discount, the apple rep says this trend wont be applied to Leopard, lets hope.

6. mongoos150 macrumors 6502a

mongoos150

If so, I'll be smitten. $69 already set aside for my bookstore Leopard purchase :D

7. rendezvouscp macrumors 68000

I was at my university's bookstore yesterday and they had iLife for $39 (but iWork wasn't available yet). While I was at Stanford University, one of my students told me they had iWork for $38 (but iLife wasn't available yet).

I would imagine that most universities (if not all) will keep the lower pricing.
    -Chasen

8. CaptainWOW macrumors member

I hope they keep it at $69. It's a steal and I just love being able to upgrade for so little. I paid $69 for Panther. I paid $69 for Tiger. Hopefully I'll pay $69 for Leopard.

I am totally peeved about the $71 iLife. Eight bucks off, big deal. I save almost no money and have to wait for the stupid thing to ship to my door in a few days.

I'll have to pop buy the Library when school starts in a few weeks - see if they have it $49.

9. sine-nomine macrumors regular

$69? Wow, I paid $89 for Tiger just a few weeks ago through Apple.com with my edu discount...

10. KD7IWP macrumors 6502a

KD7IWP

You just bought Tiger when you know Leopard comes out in a few months? I hope you get your money's worth out of it.

11. phillipjfry macrumors 6502a

phillipjfry

He probably wont jump on the bandwagon so quickly. Let the first kinks get worked out and all, you know? :)

I wish I was still in school so I could take advantage of the discount pricing :(

12. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

I wish my ****** college had Mac software in the bookstore.. but all they have is crappy Microsoft ****. The only Mac product is MS Office 04.

13. fr4c macrumors 65816

fr4c

order online via Educational Discount section.

14. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

I know that, but many bookstores even offer an additional discount. For example, Office 04 at my bookstore is 6 bucks. Windows XP is also 6 bucks (yay for when I get MBP with bootcamp)

15. mr_matalino macrumors 6502a

mr_matalino

Dude, how long have you been a student?!?!?

16. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Panther was released on October 24, 2003, not that long ago...

17. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Wow, only 6 bucks for Office?

I get XP for free through the MSDNAA program, the only out of pocket expense for a copy of XP is the cost of a CD-R to burn the image to :D I get Vista for free too, which is the ONLY reason I have that piece of trash installed in a Parallels VM. I would never pay for that garbage

18. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

i hope that i'm wrong, but i think Leopard will be more expensive than tiger and panther was (with edu discount)

19. filmgirl macrumors regular

filmgirl

It's weird that iWork is showing $71 EDU on Apple's site -- I got it for $50 at the Apple Store. I don't know if they manually changed the price or what, but the whole reason I bought it was because it was only $50.

My University sells software pretty cheap - but not $6 cheap. But then, I have a relative that works for Microsoft so I get all my MS software for free anyway.

20. sbluetruck macrumors regular

sbluetruck

wouldn't it cost more to be in school???

21. Neurotrophin macrumors newbie

Just purchased iWork 08' for $39 at the NYU computer store.
    They have iLife 08' as well for the same price.