Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OrangeCuse44

macrumors 65832
Original poster
Oct 25, 2006
I just called Verizon to see when my contract would be up because I want an iPhone. They are telling me November 6th of this year. I asked about the prorated early termination fee that I read about. The woman told me any accounts that were already in existence prior to May 2006 don't qualify for the $5/month early fee. It's not the end of the world if I have to wait an extra month and a half but I was curious if anyone else here canceled their Verizon contract early and was able to finagle the prorated fee?

deimos256

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2008
i got out of mine because i moved to an area with terrible service. However you should bring up their court case which ruled their ETF illegal. I should be getting 350 back eventually

jz7410

macrumors member
Nov 1, 2007
I just called Verizon to see when my contract would be up because I want an iPhone. They are telling me November 6th of this year. I asked about the prorated early termination fee that I read about. The woman told me any accounts that were already in existence prior to May 2006 don't qualify for the $5/month early fee. It's not the end of the world if I have to wait an extra month and a half but I was curious if anyone else here canceled their Verizon contract early and was able to finagle the prorated fee?

If you really dont want to wait get an iphone now and port your verizon # over later. You can port for free the first 30 days then i think its $15 after that for att

OrangeCuse44

macrumors 65832
Original poster
Oct 25, 2006
i got out of mine because i moved to an area with terrible service. However you should bring up their court case which ruled their ETF illegal. I should be getting 350 back eventually

What is this law suit you speak of? Sounds too good to be true...

deimos256

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2008
Whats interesting is I dont live in California, yet i was still contacted by the lawyers, perhaps because i have paid the ETF twice already?

Clete2

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2008
USA
i got out of mine because i moved to an area with terrible service.

Lucky you. Sprint told us that when we moved to an area with NO service (thankfully it was a temporary move), they would cancel w/o termination fee. After speaking with MANY managers and proving to them that we REALLY didn't get service (sometimes we got 1 bar), we STILL had to dish out $300 (2x$150). Liars.

aandf1978

macrumors member
Apr 4, 2008
I canceled my Verizon contract early and then sold my phone on ebay to cancel out the ETF charges, plus pocketed some gas money as well. Gotta love ebay!!! If you have a desirable phone you should look into that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.