Just came from Apple store with some interesting info

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by FMD:., Apr 17, 2010.

1. FMD:. macrumors member

So I just came from the apple store here in Denver. I spoke with a very knowledgeable man that said that he has ran geek bench tests on the 15" 2.4 i5 15" 2.53 i5 and the 15" 2.66 i7 and came up with these numbers

He said the lower model one was 30% faster than the high end 2.8 c2D mbp last update. He also stated that the 2.53 was 8% faster than the lower model, and the i7 was 13.5 percent faster than the lower model and about 5.5 percent faster than the 2.53. So in the end the new high end model 15 is 44% faster than the late 2009 high end. Thats is some really good numbers granted I am still dissapointed with the gpu choice.

I thought about getting the 2.4 and upping the ram to 8gb and an AG hiRes screen, but actually ended up getting the 2.66 AG hiRes ( i guess it was immediate satisfaction that drove me to getting it and possible resale value in the future if I want something different)

So now the next upgrade...8gb of ram ;)... Should hopefully not have any problems with C4D or AE considering my early 2008 2.4 runs both fairly decent with the 4gb of ram and is probably about 70-100%(just a guess) slower than my new i7.

If you are looking for the most bang for your buck...get the 2.4 and max the memory out...that machine would be a screamer.

2. Gorilla Power macrumors 6502

Gorilla Power

Thanks. Btw, by AE do you mean Age of Empires ? (Its my most favorite game :D)

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

AE - After Effects
    C4D - Cinema 4D

AoE - Age of Empires

4. choco macrumors member

choco

thanks for sharing that! makes me happy that i waited for this update instead of caving in and buying one in december.

5. lilo777 macrumors 603

And the credit for performance improvement obviously goes to Intel. All Apple did was to replace two year old CPU chips with the newer one. This was kind of expected. However they did skimp on everything else. They updated as little as they could.

6. FMD:. thread starter macrumors member

Hey you are welcome, I waited to granted I still had my old machine and the money on hand to purchase the new one due to my wonderful girlfriend. I haven't even taken my macbook pro out of the box yet...I am dreading the refresh install of all my programs :p

Its going to be a minute until it will be up to working par.

Picked up a great printer too Canon MX870 for $100. My buddy has an older model of it and loves it so really excited on the upgrade.

Also for you small businesses not sure if you know, but if you go into the apple store to do your BTO or in store buy, they will give you a 5% discount on the computer and the Apple Care. Just talk to a rep in there and they should be able to help you out.