Just can't take it anymore

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by pcnomore1961, Dec 27, 2007.

1. pcnomore1961 macrumors newbie

It is getting to the point with these PC viruses, and IE issues and you name it, that I just cant hold onto Windows any longer.

I feel that no matter how painfull it will be, I must make the jump.
    My Sony Vio is almost 5 years old, and needs replacing anyway.

If I have to learn a whole new OS like Vista(which I dont hear good things about anyway), I might as well go the MAC route.

I've been doing some searching, and would I be better off going with the iMac 17inch, or the MINI.

I can go to about 1300 dollars for a new desktop, but if the Mini will suffice, it would be great to save the money.

I use my desktop for pictures, and ITunes, and Quickbooks mostly.

I dont need to do video editing, or anything like that.

2. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

Sounds like mini meets your need. But I heard mini line is coming to an end. So I have to recommend iMac. If something goes wrong, you at least can be sure apple has the part to replace for you.. :D

3. FredAkbar macrumors 6502a

FredAkbar

It's Mac, not MAC. It's not an acronym. That's pretty much the most important thing to know about Macs...if you're going to be posting here anyway :). Welcome, and I second the iMac recommendation, it's always been a great line.

4. crazydrumma macrumors regular

I agree with going with an iMac. They are really sweet desktops, and you won't have to worry about getting a monitor (I guess that's obvious, it's an "all in one"). It's going to be enough for your needs, and, as stated before, apple will have parts for a long time. Welcome to the mac community, my friend. A wise switch, imo.

5. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

The 17" iMac is no longer produced. If you have a mouse, keyboard, speakers and display you're happy with then the Mini is good, but otherwise, the 20" iMac is an awesome machine...

6. kokr macrumors newbie

I got my first Mac about two weeks ago,a 24" Imac, and I can say i had no pain switching.
    I still have a lot to learn,but it's just so much fun playing with this computer :)
    I should have switched years ago, you won't be sorry.

7. pcnomore1961 thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry about that, and thanks for the welcome.;)

8. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

The iMac is a better value for the money but, if you are happy with your current monitor, the mini is cheaper and a good entry point for your needs. Many people have made the choice you are contemplating. We are here to help you. Best wishes.

9. spinne1 macrumors 6502a

spinne1

I scored a 1.83 dual core mini refurbed from Apple about two months ago for $479. I have not seen such a good deal since. If you can get one for a similar price, do it! I am very impressed by the performance of this little machine. Everything seems snappy (except opening Rosetta programs). I highly recommend it.

10. SolRayz macrumors 6502a

SolRayz

LOL if I had a quarter for every time I read that, I could finally retire a happy hippy in Amsterdam.

11. WildPalms macrumors 6502a

WildPalms

Where? Where did you hear the mini line is coming to an end? Dont go spreading FUD based on unfounded guesses.

The Mac mini is an awesome machine that packs nearly as much grunt as the lower end iMacs while allowing the end user to utilize an existing keyboard, mouse and display saving a lot of money. Its a good way for someone new to the Apple Macintosh line to get their feet wet at a low entry cost.

I have two Mac mini's that are STILL in service. They are still running with no issues so I see no reason to get rid of them, even though I have far more powerful units like the Mac Pro. The older, first gen. PPC based mini is running 2 ROR sites, a mail server as well as some sundy clean up scripts for the entire network. The second Intel mini is running as a media center with Front Row. These units are far from end of line.

12. SolRayz macrumors 6502a

SolRayz

^agreed
    I am about to supplement my MBP and fully replace my old PC for good with a Mac mini here shortly.

13. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

easy, easy, I heared the rumor right here at MR's news board.

14. saltyzoo macrumors 65816

saltyzoo

Even if the mini is discontinued, that doesn't effect a current purchaser in any way whatsoever. Other manufacturers discontinue models every week and nobody thinks twice about it. Who cares? It doesn't make your computer work any differently and Apple is going to support it with the same warranty and guarantee regardless.

Yeah, the iMac is a good deal, but is it really? The next time you want to upgrade your monitor - or your computer you're going to have to buy both again. That's not really good value IMO. Personally I think it's a short-sighted value.

The mini is an awesome little computer.

I just switched to Mac a couple months ago. Trust me the "pain" subsides within days and you're left with a very pleasant experience. Just don't "fight" it and you'll figure things out very quickly.

15. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

no, other manufacturers (i suppose you mean pc makers) have much larger pool of hardware providers to fill the needs. Apple doesn't.

I still remember my MB stayed at apple repair center for freaking 2 weeks just waiting for apple to grab a mainboard from their provider.

16. saltyzoo macrumors 65816

saltyzoo

That doesn't change the fact that the mini will be supported the same whether it's discontinued or not.

It's also applying one experience to state the reality for every case, which is inaccurate. I've had to wait over a month for a gateway laptop motherboard to be replaced. Is that proof that Apple is better?

17. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

what do you think then?

Its a simple fact that when a product going out of production, the service will go down to certain degree, is there a point arguing this? Im not saying there will be NO support, did I?

18. saltyzoo macrumors 65816

saltyzoo

We will have to agree to disagree. Personally, I'm not going to make my purchasing decisions based on a rumor with no facts to back it up, especially when I fail to see how it matters anyway. I don't see the logic in saying service will falter on a discontinued product.

Essentially all the following must prove true for it to matter:
    1. The model must be discontinued. Despite no actual evidence that it will be.
    2. Service on the discontinued model must become lower than it was before it was discontinued.
    3. Something must happen to your computer to a degree that it requires service.

In my opinion you are making a mountain out of a molehill.

19. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

1. I said "I heard", is that not allow to say?
    2. is that not a common sense? ask everybody or anybody.
    3. well, lets just say everybody's computer has at least 1 year warranty, and many mac people recommend 3 years applecare. I sure hope they won't have to use it, but obviously, its all about assumption. If you are bold enough to ignore the possible repair issue, good for you.

20. sellitman macrumors regular

sellitman

I have a 17" iMac and love the bright screen that is built in. I bought mine in Feb and the new Aluminum iMacs have an even nicer screen. Unless you are in love with your monitor I'd go for the new 20" iMac.

21. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Clevin this is what you stated:

Going by this, it tells me that you heard that the Mac Mini line is coming to an end.

If this is your source, then you should have said something like you heard on MR that the Mac Mini line might be coming to an end.

Bottom line, is right now we do not know the status of the Mac Mini line. For the OP, this may be a wonderful fit for him.

Also, Apple keeps spare parts on hand for a few years so not to worry. Just because a particular model is discontinued today, does not mean that tomorrow support goes away.

To the OP, it sounds like the Mac Mini or iMac may be your best choice. You might want to also consider a refurbished iMac 17 inch if you want to save some $ and don't need the latest and greatest.

22. saltyzoo macrumors 65816

saltyzoo

I forgot to add the biggest bullet point.

4. The alternative model you buy will not have any of the above issues during it's lifespan.

Every model will be discontinued eventually. I just don't see why an unsubstantiated rumor would effect your purchase.

And no, I can see no reason why a discontinued model would receive lower service while in it's warranty period than any other model would. Every time iMac changes motherboards or any other significant feature, the model you have becomes "discontinued". For 99.99% of the people that means nothing. I don't see any reason to worry about it.

23. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Clevin please quit spreading incorrect information.

Apple will continue to support their hardware for quite some time after it is discontinued. I personally had my PB15 fixed with new MotherBoard 3 years after it was purchased and after the MBPs were introduced.

And even if Apple were to discontinue support after say 5 years, then you can always go to third party options.

24. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

im glad "I heard" is a strong enough statment for you. Maybe MR shouldn't publish these type news multiple times after all.

About apple keeping parts after discontinueing the line, sure, there will be some. But also remember mini's design is QUITE different than 99% of computers in the market.

Its merely an information and my own suggestion, if OP think its not a problem, or not worth paying attention too. its fine4. I have no problem either way. Its not my $$ anyway, whats the point.:confused:
    oh my god, you are making this into a very heavy topic. I will just stop here.

25. Cooknn macrumors 68020

Cooknn

I've hooked up two of my friends with Mac Mini's and they're both very happy. Each one came from Windows - frustrated as you are with all the problems. Now they just get on the Mac and do what they want to do. That's the beauty of the Apple experience. You actually spend your computing time computing :p