Just Cause 2

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by Taustin Powers, Mar 8, 2010.

1. Taustin Powers macrumors regular

I messed around with the demo a little last night.

Technically, it doesn't seem to be the most stunning and polished game - dude was running down an almost vertical mountain (impossible) with the same running animation as on flat ground (looks stupid). The graphics aren't bad, but we've seen much more detailed beautiful landscapes (Uncharteds, Far Cry 2).

BUT (!), I had fun playing it! The grappling hook works pretty well, think Batman AA, but more freedom and flexibility with it than just a few predermined grappling locations. Using it to connect stuff works great, too. I was attaching people to cars, motor bikes to trees, people to each other etc. in no time.

The overall atmosphere reminded me a little of the Mercenaries games. I will await some more reviews (saw a magazine in a store yesterday that gave it an upper 80's score), to see how the main game / storyline turns out. I want to make sure there is enough substance left once the novelty of the grappling hook wears off... ;) But I can see myself having a lot of fun just messing around with the environment, so I might well pick this up at some point.

2. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Played both 360 & PS3 demos. Both almost identical, slight contrast difference, 360 has motion blur whilst PS3 does not, and the 360 seemed a tad more fluid especially in the opening cutscenes. But all in all an excellent rendition on both platforms for a change.

I thought it was very pretty and certainly an improvement over Just Cause. You have to remember this is an open world game with far bigger area than either Mercenaries or Farcry. It looks like it could be a lot of fun and they have improved the game a lot over it's predecessor which too was a heck of a lot of fun.

Comparing the game to Uncharted2 ? Well that's unfair. Uncharted does not render an entire open world. I doubt it would look any better than JC2 if it did. I personally think it looks better than FarCry 2 and another thing to take into account is that JC2 features jungles, deserts, mountains encased in snow, whereas FarCry's 2 environment was basically the same throughout the entire game. You could not take to the skies and enjoy exotic panoramas in FarCry 2 or Uncharted 2 either. With that taken into account it's amazing to see what they hVe been able to achieve with JC2 and running at a stable in game framerate throughout.

The grapple works as good as a Spiderman game. Nothing more fun than parahuting down, grabbing a helicopter, flying and unleashing a barrage of missiles, the jumping out as the helicopter plows into your enemies whilst you glide down to the ground and just as you do you unleash the grapple hook and land ontop of a motorcycle and ride away :D

I will be buying. It's just FUN. I won't be worried about it's authenticy as this is all about having a blast in a sandbox universe. Worrying about your man running up hill or such is missing the point IMHO.

3. Sambo110 macrumors 68000

PS3 version fails, if you play the demo from a different region to your PS3, it sucks. To press X, I have to press O and X together, it sucks. I have a Japanese PS3 and got it from the Australian store, never had this problem before. Still, a pretty fun game to muck around it.

4. Taustin Powers thread starter macrumors regular

@MRU

It may not look like it at first glimpse, but I think we actually mostly agree about this game. ;)

I do not "worry" about things like running down a straight wall or the animation looking off, it won't ruin a game for me, it's just something I noticed. The main thing is the fun factor, and that was definitely there. I enjoyed it a lot! It will likely be a very fun playground to mess around with....I just want to make sure it has a little more substance and is not just a big grappling hook tech demo. (In which case I would probably still buy it to have fun, but probably half a year later for half the price...)

As for graphics, I think FC2's landscape was done better, but that's just my opinion. I just wasn't blown away by the textures used on the mountains and such. But again, nothing bad, and definitely nothing that takes away from the fun. :)

5. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Thats a strange one ? :confused:

6. syndony macrumors newbie

Got it preoredered.

Along with Splinter Cell Convivtion, then.

Next 2 months are gonna be sweet.

Currently playing ME2 the fill in the wait.

It's nice to be a gamer these days.

Even my dear old Wii, is doing well, with SMG2 + M and Z this year.

7. Sambo110 macrumors 68000

Yep, and very annoying. O is select for me, and I can only press O in menus by pressing X and O together, and I can only press O in game. I almost downloaded this for the 360, but decided to wait a day for the PS3 demo. They better fix it in the full game, it's just stupid.

8. Taustin Powers thread starter macrumors regular

Try and get the demo from the US store. It's working on my Euro PS3, no problem.

That said, I have never heard of problems even remotely like that before, it really does sound strange. :confused:

9. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

Kinda fun I suppose. Controls feel clunky as hell though. The guns lack good punch and it has Red Faction syndrome (ie. the game simply throws as many baddies as it can render at you until you just run away). I know you have the hook and all but I wanted to climb a la inFamous or Ass Creed rather than have to grapple up 10 feet.

I'll wait until this one is $20 clearance bin special, which feels bad to say but this month is just a little bit crowded what with Battlefield, Final Fantasy, God of War etc.

10. Taustin Powers thread starter macrumors regular

I kind of missed some simple climbing mechanics, too. Like jumping up and holding on to a roof and pulling myself up. If I can reach the roof of a little shed with my hands, I shouldn't have to use a grappling hook to get up there. :rolleyes:

EDIT: Played some more today. The controls really seem a little lacking to me. For the shooting parts, I would like some sort of cover system, but I guess I'll be fine without it as well - not a dealbreaker. But the no-climbing thing is really annoying. He is doing all this fantastic acrobatic stuff with his grapple, swinging onto the roofs of moving cars and all...but he can't climb over a freaking 2-meter wall? Really? :confused: I don't expect Assassins Creed-like super mad monkey climbing skills, but the ability to stretch up his arms and pull himself up on a ledge should not be too much to ask?

11. Nuck81 macrumors regular

The Demo is a ton of fun, but I'll wait. This will be budget priced in less than two months...

12. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Ok downloaded pc version on Steam and it's the best version and I can run it max, so add the fact you get Red Faction Guerrila free and it's 15 euro cheaper I have pre-ordered pc version.

13. Taustin Powers thread starter macrumors regular

Reviews are trickling in....generally favorable, upper 80's scores.

I might pick this up soon! :)

14. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

I'm having a ton of fun with this game, it's easy to get distracted. Yesterday I was just going to do *one more mission* when I noticed what looked like another airport on the map. Drove there, messed around, stole a plane, crashed it.... etc. Lots of weird things in the game too... like the Lost island. I got the PS3 version, which is great. It includes auto-recording, so (once you turn it on) it records the last 30 seconds of gameplay, or you can start a video that's 10 minutes long.

It's quite an improvement over the disappointing Mercenaries 2, too bad it lacks airstrikes :p

15. Taustin Powers thread starter macrumors regular

Picked it up today - Collector's Edition for 45€! :)

Shame the weather is way too nice today to play video games...! :rolleyes:

16. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Ordered it for the PC but has not shipped, so cancelled and just went out and bought the lmtd edition 360 version.

Though mine cost €49.99 :( Taustin Powers stole my mojo!

(also picked up Resonance of Fate).

17. ManhattanPrjct macrumors 6502

I played the demo last night - is it just me (or maybe just the fact I had just finished Uncharted 2), or do the controls seem a little clunky?

18. Taustin Powers thread starter macrumors regular

Spent some time with it this weekend. It looks very pretty, much better than I thought from the demo. The world is huge, there definitely is some exploring to be done. The few missions I have done were meh, nothing special. The voice acting is laughable...but I like to laugh, so it's fine. :D Honestly, I can't see myself going terribly far with the game's storyline missions, but I will probably be spending a lot of time messing around and blowing stuff up on the island - it's just fun! :)

19. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

^ yeah its certainly b-movie story & dialogue.

Looks really great though and i like how the world is open to you from the off. Hours spent just exploring and trying crazy stuff. Fun...

20. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

I haven't bothered with this game at all...I have so many games I'm playing at the same time that I'm going to miss out on this one and play red dead redemption in its place.

I'll check it out when it goes down in price but I can only handle one sand box game at a time.

Bless

21. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

It's on my to-do list once I'm done with Heart Gold. Does look pretty good but I'm in no rush.

22. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Yeah, the style of this game is not about realism at all. That's why you can run straight up mountains. It's still a heck of a lot of fun though. I was amused by the demo. It runs darn well on the PS3 too... no tearing or anything.

By the way, I read a review about the xBox version and it tears under heavy load.

23. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

Ya, I picked up the PS3 version over the 360 one. It's got a 1200mb install, but it's totally worth it. No tearing and it's got Youtube upload (occasionally glitchy, sometimes the menu to enter a name for the video doesn't pop up, and you are kinda screwed... have to quit the game). Having tons of fun :D

24. NoSmokingBandit macrumors 68000

NoSmokingBandit

I havent had much chance to play it seeing as God of War 3 is taking up all my time, but i've enjoyed the little i did play. The game is quite good looking on my gtx260.

25. angelneo macrumors 68000