Just checking before i buy...no iMac updates in this year,right?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by bob vansteel, Aug 10, 2008.

  1. bob vansteel macrumors regular

    Jun 13, 2008
    Now i know the likley hood of an iMac update this year/holiday season is like 15%, but i just wanted to discuss the topic one more time before i buy my new iMac.

    Anyone think there will be iMac updates/price drops this sept/oct/or nov?
  2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

    Tallest Skil

    Aug 13, 2006
    1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
    There will probably be another update before the year's end. No price drops.
  3. bob vansteel thread starter macrumors regular

    Jun 13, 2008
    what do you think the extent of the update will be? if it is a minor processor or GPU update like before, then i'm fine, but anything bigger and i might hold off.
  4. tri3limited macrumors 6502

    Jun 5, 2008
    Im buying now as i don't expect an update until January at the earliest.

    Either way, don't expect Blu-ray as Apple don't seem to want to support it in their products as it goes against their download strategy.

    Quad-core? The prices are far too high for mobile quads atm, maybe as a CTO nearer the release or Snow Leopard.

    I'd happily say you're safe to go ahead and purchase without regret, I am!
  5. Fonzijr1964 macrumors 68000


    Feb 26, 2008
    minor most likely

    They could put in Quad core in for the Holidays but i Doubt it (maybe at MacWorld 2009)
  6. bob vansteel thread starter macrumors regular

    Jun 13, 2008
    OK thanks guys I'm going to go for it!:D hehe Can't wait!
  7. arkitect macrumors 603


    Sep 5, 2005
    Bath, United Kingdom
    That confirms the expected 16 September release for new iMacs then…

  8. Soxy macrumors member

    Aug 6, 2008
    I'd say there's just as much chance of there being an iMac update before the end of the year as there is one being announced at Macworld (very beginning of next year).

    That said, if there is an update, it would have to happen before December, or they'd just hold off till Macworld for the sake of it?

    In my (inexperienced) eyes, it's a toss up between if they want updated iMacs for the holiday season, or if they need it as news because they don't have anything groundbreaking for Macworld.
  9. rajalot macrumors member


    May 27, 2008
    Whatever you do, remember that CoreCL will be in Snow Leopard, so picking at least the model with 256MB Radeon HD will be smart move.
  10. bob vansteel thread starter macrumors regular

    Jun 13, 2008
    ya, but what exactly would they update? I mean there isn't much they can do(besides blu-ray which won't happen) until 42nm Nehalem chips arrive next year.
  11. Soxy macrumors member

    Aug 6, 2008
    There's no better CPU/GPU they could put into an iMac right now? (I'm not being sarcastic I know very little about Macs)

    A matte screen is quite coveted too I hear.

    Going from the Buyer's Guide if we waited for the new cpu wouldn't that put the iMac wayyyy above it's average product cycle? (Which current one ends in 2008)

    I'm looking to buy an iMac too, so any input is great ^^
  12. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030


    Jun 15, 2005
    CPU, not really. GPU, yes, but Apple isn't really known for including the latest and greatest. There's a small chance of an update late this year, but MacWorld or a couple of months after is more likely.
  13. Dmac77 macrumors 68020


    Jan 2, 2008
    99% chance of an update before 2009 IMO. There won't be any price drops, but there normally is a black friday (day after thanksgiving) sale in the U.S., there are normally $100-$200 discounts during that sale.


Share This Page