Just chipped my iPhone 4 :(

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by PhazonUK, Sep 11, 2010.

1. PhazonUK macrumors 6502

Just managed to drop my iP4 down the back of a radiator whilst trying to untangle the USB cable and it came off, hit the radiator, and slid across my wood flooring screen down :(. Really annoying as I've been being super careful with it since it cost me £500 -_-
    HOWEVER! The only damage was a small dent/chip in the plastic at the edge of the glass on the back. This is actually the second time I've dropped it in the past few days, the first time it slid off my bed and onto my floor but no damage then.
    Quite impressed by how tough it is actually, just gutted that I've managed to damage it after being so careful :(

Stupid thing is...there is a bumper sat on my shelf above me....which I at first paid for :D

2. chembox macrumors 6502a

3. PhazonUK thread starter macrumors 6502

Had to take the photo using my iPhone and a mirror because the 2 cameras we have are out of the house.
    Anyway, kinda blurry but you can see it on the right side of the photo.

[​IMG]

4. PrincessMelody macrumors member

Sorry that happened!! :( At least it didn't shatter!

5. ajax43 macrumors regular

I understand why some people don't want to use a case or screen protector,but every time I read a post like this it reaffirms my ocd about my phone protection. I will NEVER not use a case and a screen shield.But that's just me....:)

6. Hemmo macrumors regular

7. duction macrumors 6502a

duction

Yea scuffed the rim of mine too, got it insured?

8. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Really? Every time I hear about stuff like this it reaffirms my choice not to use one. I've dropped mine 4 or 5 times from my windowsill to my hardwood with no damage. The phone is durable and I'm never going to sell it, so I don't see a problem with using how I want to.

9. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

Not bad at all. You can replace it for $100 at another time. It would bug me if it was on the front.

10. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. I find the iPhone 4 to be very slippery. So I always use a case or a bumper.

11. thunderbunny macrumors 6502a

thunderbunny

They won't accept dollars at UK apple stores

I managed to throw mine at an internal brick wall, just a little scuffing in a couple of places which seem to have more or less buffed out by sliding into and out of leather case. Many other phones I've had have had far greater damage from less forceful impacts

12. Savor Suspended

Savor

Yup, same here.

I am not really the type to cover my phones with cases, but the iPhone 4 is one of those exceptions. I don't mind the case I have for it though. It actually feels better in the hand and looks pretty good. The back glass is also covered so I don't have to always clean that side. The added bulk from the case now gives a better snug fit into my belt/holster case which was used for a thicker Nokia phone. Considering the iPhone 4 is too slippery and lacks the chrome bezel to protect the sharp edges, a case is definitely needed for it for corner protection and grip.

13. kopite19 macrumors regular

Today was the 11th 2-3ft drop my naked iphone 4 has had...and still no actual damage or chips to it. Whereas my friend dropped hers from the same desk as mine at work and her volume button flew off. Guess it's how and where it falls..

14. ajax43 macrumors regular

Hmmm...not saying that I can't use it the way I want if I protect it. You choose to go naked, I don't. Seems to me we are both using our iphones the way we want. I just want to keep mine in good condition if I happen to accidentally drop it. We can't ALL drop our devices multiple times and keep them pristine. This thread is a case in point. OP mentioned they dropped their phone twice. You (apparently being supremely clumsy) have dropped your "4 or 5 times." No damage. Good for you. Proud of you. I may drop mine 5 times and do no damage. Perhaps on the 6th drop something will chip, crack, or shatter. Or not, depending on how protected it is. Please note this is purely jest. All in good fun!

15. Irish Rose macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

At least you didn't crack the screen. Sounds like this can easily be covered up with a case or the bumper that you have.

16. ozzyman500 macrumors 65816

17. megsalias macrumors regular

I dropped mine from less than two feet above the ground on asphalt and it landed face down. I'm lucky it didn't shatter, but I have a little chip of glass missing in all four corners.

18. mrpuffy macrumors newbie

Not that bad, my friend dropped his in the second week (clumsy) on to a pebble smashed the screen, now its a expensive mirror [​IMG]

19. Ethere macrumors member

I love the look of the phone without a case, but I definitely chose to at least keep the bumper on my phone. Luckily, a month has gone by, and I haven't dropped it yet. I plan on keeping mine in the bumper case until I do sell it so I have enough to get the iPhone 5 when it comes out.

20. slicecom macrumors 68020

Just don't take the bumper off or you'll see all the scratches it's created on the antenna. Naked iPhone FTW!

21. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

That's what I do. My iPhone lives in its bumper case and no issues so far.

22. iphonefouruser macrumors newbie

I am thinking I may just put mine back in the box and use the girlfriends lg chocolate until the iphone 6 comes out. I figured I would skip the 5 altogether. Do people really love the thought of new (unreleased) phones so much that they dont use their current 'new' models normally with a view to selling them to buy the next version.

I sometimes think apple could sell a brick and people would still pay top dollar for them. Actually, bearing in mind that a power plug and lead from the UK apple store costs 25 quid, I hate to think how much an actual apple brick would cost

23. SL4VE macrumors 6502

Poundland are doing apple charging cables at the moment :)

24. Benito macrumors 6502

Benito

That sucks, gladly it wasn't any worse. I'd either live with it and get a case so I didn't have to look at it, or get the back glass replaced.

25. ItsJustafnPhone macrumors 6502a

dear moderators

we seriously need an OCD/cosmetics subforum

:rolleyes: