Just cracked my iPhone 6s screen, what are my options?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Hieveryone, Apr 3, 2016.

1. Hieveryone macrumors 68020

2. jimbo1mcm macrumors 68000

Why don't you tell us your coverage? Apple care, Square Trade, or nothing.

3. Hieveryone thread starter macrumors 68020

Nothing :/
    --- Post Merged, Apr 3, 2016 ---
    That's not too bad

4. npolly0212 macrumors 65816

Nothing = Apple and will cost around 150 (mine was 165 for my iPhone 6s+ without AppleCare)

5. fausername5 macrumors newbie

I was going to suggest an iFixit repair kit, but I can't believe they are charging $324.95 for a new screen.

I guess your best bet is apple store for $150 then..

Also, I just noticed the iFixit iPhone 6 screen replacement is only $124.95....so I'm guessing the price difference is because of the the 3D touch...

6. Hieveryone thread starter macrumors 68020

It says 129 plus tax I believe.

I saw some local retailer charging 99 but the price difference is too little.

If there was a place for like 50 that'd be great haha

7. Soner macrumors newbie

Home insurance ?

8. steve knight, Apr 3, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2016

steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

my 6s+ was 149 took atlas 1.5 hours because the time it takes to get alignment in the screen and 3d touch. but they failed and gave us a unlocked phone as a replacement.

9. npolly0212 macrumors 65816

Anywhere other than Apple (I guess because of the 3D Touch technology in it?) around me is 300-400+ for an iPhone 6s+ repair
    --- Post Merged, Apr 3, 2016 ---
    And with Apple you know t is being done right

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Really?
    For a $129 repair?

OP go to Apple.
    If you get the screen replaced by a 3rd party your remaining Apple warranty is void.
    If you need service by apple in the future they will not touch it if opened and has 3rd party replacement parts installed.

11. chestvrg macrumors 65816

chestvrg

With all these things going on with the fingerprint sensor not working or outputting an error whenever screen replaced, it's best to go with Apple b/c even if the genius don't get it right they'll for sure give you a replacement unit. Unless it is being covered via an insurance policy that's different; otherwise go with Apple.

I myself need my screen replaced b/c it has gotten a couple of scratches I should have put on a screen protector on the first Day of use. Good luck.

12. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

Wasn't there a furor over Apple bricking phones with third party parts replacements a couple of months ago? If that situation has not been clarified, I would stick with going to Apple only.

13. chestvrg macrumors 65816

chestvrg

Yea correct, the error fifty something, I believe they fixed the error in the previous OS update of 9.3.1 but I would be wary of 3rd party vendor parts.

14. Soner macrumors newbie

Around 140 USD my personally home insurance.. they are exchanging the phone if it's only the screen. Apple are giving a new one. They aren't repairing it as I heard from insurance firm
    BTW living in denmark

15. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I would never put such a small claim in my homeowners policy.
    Next time the policy renews they will just use it as an excuse to jack up my rate.
    Not worth for such a small amount of money.

16. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

Same here. I would never report something like this to home owners insurance.

17. EDH667 macrumors 6502a

EDH667

Ditto, plus I have a $2,500 deductible on my homeowner's policy to reduce the cost of the premiums.

18. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

Wait, AppleCare+ is $129, plus $99 per incident, but a new screen with no strings attached is only $150? How does that work? I thought insurance was supposed to protect you from high repair costs; not cost more than the repair it's ostensibly insuring you against.

If you crack your screen twice, AppleCare+ is still $27 more than two retail screen repairs. And if you crack it a third time, you're not covered anyway? And people are signing up for this?

19. swordfish5736 macrumors 68000

swordfish5736

AppleCare+ covers a completely destroyed phone not just a broken screen.

20. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

Ok, but it still seems like either the deductible should be lower for just a screen replacement, or the retail price of a screen replacement should be higher. I've heard very few totally destroyed phone stories, but countless cracked screen stories.

If they lowered the deductible for a screen replacement to bring the total out of pocket to $10 cheaper than a retail replacement, I bet they'd sell a lot more AppleCare+ plans.

21. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I agree.
    Not really worth it to me.
    I bought 3 AppleCare plus coverages and they're about to expire with not a single claim.
    It saves you money if you're accident prone or if they have to replace the whole phone.

22. swordfish5736 macrumors 68000

swordfish5736

an out of warranty replacement for a 6s is $299. With AppleCare+ if you go in with a cracked screen and pay the deductible you are walking out with a warranty replacement not a new screen. If you go in and pay the screen fee they will take your current device and swap the screen. I've seen stories of people going in for a screen replacement and having to pay the out of warranty price due to a bent device or other issues.

I hadn't noticed this before but the screen replacement costs are less if you have AppleCare+

https://www.apple.com/support/iphone/repair/screen-damage/

23. rigormortis macrumors 68000

rigormortis

square trade no longer charges deductibles for iPhone screen repairs

24. Qbnkelt macrumors 65816

Qbnkelt

Or if you gift your phone to a family member who may be accident prone.
    I gave my iPhone 6 to a family member when I got my iPhone 6s Plus. He's already had to replace the screen. I gave him my iPhone 5s when he crushed his iPhone 4s screen. The man is a disaster looking for a place to happen.
    I'm glad I have Apple Care + in all my phones. When I pass them on and one goes to him, I know something is likely to happen and it always does.

25. 617aircav Suspended

All I need is a tempered glass of $10 from Walmart and my screen is safe. Don't want to pay deductibles for broken screens when I can avoid it.