just curious about anti glare screen

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gonnabuyamac, Sep 24, 2009.

1. gonnabuyamac macrumors 6502

i'm planning on upgrading from my older MBP to a 15" unibody. i'm going back and forth whether or not i want the anti glare screen or not.

does anyone have one? how are the colors compared with the glossy?

2. klee1987 macrumors regular

nobody knows what you're thinking/what you prefer/etc...

go to a store and see for yourself and find out. or google a review. search this forum.

3. 7even macrumors 6502a

The colors are great. If there's any difference, it's barely visible.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I've always gotten matte screens in the past but with my latest MBP iteration it was a glossy. I cannot believe how much the colors pop and how great everything looks.

While its useful to get people's opinions on this, you'll not see any consensus, its really a point of contention. To that end, check it out at at an apple store yourself. You need to see which one you like using, not which one we like using.

5. Rampant.A.I. macrumors 6502a

I went glossy and I'm not looking back. The glare can be a little bit annoying occasionally, but it's also a great excuse to buy polarized sunglasses. :p

As long as you're not in glaring sunlight, it's really not an issue.

I like it quite a bit more than the matte finish screen so far, and like the poster above me said, the colors really do seem to "pop" more.

6. Bigabouli macrumors member

An antiglare screen would go nice with an glossy ACD :p

Best of both worlds - colours and black levels inside, and no glare when you are out and about.

7. Betelgeuse macrumors member

I just got an anti-glare MBP and like it a lot. I have always found the glare annoying on the glossy screens and have found that the glare is noticeable in not just direct sunlight conditions. For my needs, I've found that the anti-glare is just as nice as the glossy without the glare. And the screen on my AG MBP sure is beautiful :)

However, it depends somewhat on usage. I'm not primarily using my laptop to watch movies or look at color pictures, so the benefits of a glossy screen are significantly reduced.

As you can see from this thread, not everyone shares my view, so you should really just go to an Apple store and decide for yourself.

EDIT: Oh. And another benefit for the AG screen is the silver bezel. For some reason, I prefer that to the black surround of the glossy screen.

8. emcham macrumors member

i've used both over the last few months. while i like both, my ultimate feeling after using them is that while i like the glossy, the glare is almost always there. the anti-glare is the same LCD panel and doesn't have the glare issue. i will stick with the one i can use and enjoy and not have any distractions on. its a functional piece of equipment after all...

just my personal feedback.

9. kolax macrumors G3

I went from a glossy uMBP to one with anti-glare. On the anti-glare, everything just looks so much better. I see the image as it is, not with any light or reflections around me having any impact. The blacks are great and the colour is brilliant. Obviously, the glossy had slightly richer blacks that were a bit purer, but nothing to notice really.

The silver bezel is much sexier too. Everything looks great with no reflections, screen looks better as there is no glass, and almost feels lighter.

I'm going to write a full review tomorrow with plenty of pictures.

10. jasko macrumors 6502

jasko

Just got my 15" mbp with anti-glare yesterday. I'm glad I got it over the glossy. I sold my 24" iMac due to this.