just curious about macs

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by cheeseface, Jun 28, 2011.

1. cheeseface macrumors newbie

Hi, im quite new to this whole forum thing so im not sure where im supposed to ask.

Ive been using PCs for god knows how long and i am aware that for graphic design works Macs are like million times better.

However, what i want to know is that why are macs better when it comes to graphics work, and also why are macs better in general??

I am very well aware that this may cause massive loads of flaming/trolling/whatever (prob involve hurting my feelings :(...). however, im very curious as all my friends who like mac only likes mac for their design (quote " its pretty" -_-;;) and to be honest i dont really care about design as long as its not so big that i cant carry it around or if its made out of spikes or watever...

So just to sum it all up, Why are macs better for graphics works and/or for anything else? (Please have a supporting statement, nothing like "because it is"... I mean if its from experience, then at least please state so.)

P.S. To Moderators, if this is unreasonable debate topic, or if its in the wrong place, im sorry for the hassle but after all the googling, i cant seem to find any recent PC vs Mac thing that actually doesnt have any flaming..

Any answers appreciated as long as its not offensive and there is a legitimate reason.

Thank you

2. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

hello,
    IMHO oppinion macs are excellent for technology illiterate people, people who want ease, people who want an amazing operating systems, people who take form over function, people who like the amazing support. As much as I like macs I have to admit pc's are definitely better bang for your buck, especially for accessories. also, Macs hold resale value a lot more than PC's and tend to last longer (obviously not the case for every pc, I know)

3. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

For the graphics design angle, IMHO, one of the main reasons Macs still have a place is that they tend to be a lot more WYSIWYG than your typical PC. Color matching, etc... is much easier, and with DisplayPDF what you see on paper tends to be closer to what is on the screen.

Here's a recent thread you might want to look at: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1176526

B

4. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

Mac tend to have better color profile than Windows.

But speaking of OS:

Windows 7 is actually fine, not that vulnerable to virus as XP or Vista. But it's still windows, an OS which bow down and serves zillions and zillions of hardware brand and manufacturer. They want to put support for as many hardware as possible, it's generic and end up being jack of all trades, master of none.

While Mac OS limited to several hardware only. Sure each year Apple may come with different improvement/configuration, still it's very little compared to how much hardware Windows has to support. Having to support so little ecosystem, OS X become specialized and master of some :)

Hackintosh could support much more hardware (with some kext mod or patch) ..but it's even much more troublesome than using Windows, defeat the purpose of Mac being simple.

In short, Windows is bloatware since it is generic OS .. and so would OSX if Apple suddenly release it to the free computer market. So much to load, so little space and time.

Linux is excellent for what they offer, they support many hardware, yet not end up being bloatware and still considerably fast. But we must admit, they don't look as good as Windows/Mac, less user friendly, less interesting. Also being a free and open source OS, people support and make apps for Linux just on their spare time, so it won't be as good as paid apps. Unless people need no more money

5. GoKyu macrumors 65816

GoKyu

I would second Wrinkster's point about Macs being extremely easy and for people who either don't like technology or who are just tired of always having to keep up with making Windows run well - there's a reason there are tons of tuneup-type software for windows, and very few for Macs.

To answer another part of your original question, I would have to say that Macs have a long history of being "better with graphics" - they were the first, in the early/mid 80s to be able to do real desktop publishing on a consumer machine; they were also the first (because they had the first Real GUI-based operating system) to have graphic programs such as Photoshop written for them.

These days, however, I think the whole "better at graphics" has evened out, since the Mac and Windows versions of the Adobe creative Suite apps are virtually identical, with the insignificant exception of the modifier keys (Control, Command, Option, Alt.)

The legend lives on though, and a lot of people assume it's still true and choose a Mac for that reason.

I find the same to be true for a least home-use of music editing software. I've used GarageBand, then Logic Express, and have seen similar software on the Windows side too, so in that sense, music editing could be done equally as well on Macs and PCs. A composer is welcome to correct me if Mac software really is significantly better for pros.

My main reason for going Mac is the operating system - OS X. I like how it's built on top of UNIX (conceived as a server-grade OS in 1969, and runs many if not most of the Internet servers online today.)

Design is secondary to me - sure it looks nice, but if looks are all it has going for it, then what's the point?

6. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

The tight integration of OS and hardware is a big deal for me.

My work machine is a 2010 MBP running Windows 7, and it just "doesn't feel right" even though it performs extremely well. Plus, in my limited Hackintosh experience running OS X on generic hardware it's also not the same.

B

7. GoKyu macrumors 65816

GoKyu

Balamw: that's a good point - since there are fewer options, the driver integration is better and can be better optimized for speed, compatibility and stability.

Windows does well enough, considering the massive amount of hardware that needs to be compatible with it - that's a credit to Microsoft. But it's also a weakness that nothing is really tuned to perform as well as possible (see first paragraph.)

8. snberk103 macrumors 603

Speaking in general terms only....

Windows tends to give you more ways that you can personalize and modify your settings/Desktop. Apple tends to make a number of those decisions for you. This means that with a Mac there are just fewer ways to mess it up, and it seems to 'Just Work".

Because of the extra ways to set things up in Windows, and the larger choices of HW - you will likely need to spend time doing set up things when adding peripherals. There are just too many choices for everything work automatically.

With Macs, since the SW and HW are tied together so closely, peripherals just seem to work when you plug them in (Not 100% of the time, admittedly....)

In my opinion, this means I can just get work done. I don't need to delve under the hood very often. Macs just work, and I can just work. This not, by any means, a universal experience of course. But as I am surrounded by both Mac and Windows users I can state quite confidently that, in my circle, Mac users spend far less time figuring out how to get things done. And when we do need to ask for help, it's usually pretty straightforward and easy to tell a fellow Mac user how to do things over phone.

But.... I'm still stuck (for now) to resizing a window by the bottom right corner. :)

9. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

I find OS X to be better than Windows 7. There are many areas that make a difference for me. Here are some of them...

1 - freezes - OS X freezes less frequently and for shorter duration
    2 - finder - sort includes folders and files - quick look is a lifesaver
    3 - spotlight - really could do away with the dock imho
    4 - mouse - my win 7 machine at the office simply cannot reliably stay connected to a pointing device whether it's bluetooth or usb
    5 - security - much less malware - no registry
    6 - app install/uninstall - no registry
    7 - cron
    8 - terminal
    9 - look and feel - Apple has thought this OS out very well
    10 - windows is more customizeable? try setting different wallpaper on each monitor - try turning off caps lock (without a trip to the registry)
    11 - hardware - Apple industrial design in general especially: track pad, mag safe, keyboard, open any macbook without fumbling with a latch (this is more a dig at hp and dell)
    12 - networking - easier - more flexible settings

In all fairness, there are a handful of things Windows does that OS X doesn't do as well. There are more apps. There are a few things in Windows (file) explorer that wouldn't mind seeing show up in finder like cut/paste and merge copied directories. But the overwhelming majority of my likes side with OS X over Windows.

10. cdcastillo macrumors 6502a

cdcastillo

+1

11. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Why I switched...

For me, I switched over because of reliability, a seemless experience, and overall value/customer service.

I got so tired of BSOD's and freezing and CAD'ing b/c stuff didn't work or 3rd party drivers, bla bla bla. My friends' Macs just worked and they worked all of the time without any major problems.

Also, it's a seemless experience with hardware and software. It's all made by the same people, so everything just works together. Sure, if you compare the specs to windows machines, they might have bigger numbers, but they don't work together. (It's like comparing a Toyota Camry to a Lotus or something. Ok, it might have more horsepower or torque or something, but you compare them in the real world and there is no comparison.) Also, the ability to seemlessly switch and create projects with the iLife suite is really nice.

Finally, I switched because of reliability and customer service. Look at the prices of used Apple machines and pc's, and you'll see the difference. Sure, Compaq sells millions of laptops, but if there's a problem with your computer, who do you call? Best Buy? Compaq? The printer company? Microsoft? Adobe? (Oh, and good luck navigating the electronic phone trees and then understanding the person on the other line.) : ) Year after year after year, Apple's customer service is ranked the best for a reason. Millions of satisfied, happy, and returning customers attest to this as well. Apple, in general, takes care of its peeps.

Sorry for the novella, but you asked, so that's why I switched (and I've never looked back!)

will

12. Fuith macrumors member

The programs (apps) problem is getting less and less all the time. Merge folder will be a feature of Lion next month:D

Back to the original question, I started using DOS and Windows 3.1 back in the day. I stuck with Windows until about two years ago when I switched to Linux because of the shambles that was Vista. I tried a few distros but I eventually stuck with Ubuntu. It's very similar to Mac OS X in that it has a lot in common with Unix. I loved it, it was fast, stable and I could run it for days or even weeks without restarting.

Then I bought an iPad, which I couldn't sync because iTunes is not available for Linux (Thanks Steve), so I switched back to Windows 7. While it was a lot better than Vista, I still had to restart every day to return to decent operating speeds.

Now I have a 21.5" iMac and couldn't be happier, it has the speed and stability of Linux and the usability and range of programs of Windows. On the graphics front, Photoshop starts almost immediately, with no lag or hanging when trying to edit things.

Again, because of the tight integration between OS and hardware, the system is optimized to run on the hardware than Apple provides. This has it's downsides like a lack of upgradeability, but I know my Mac will last for at least five or six years.

Sorry for my ramblings but I wanted to point out that I'm not a fanboy and that I have tried several different operating systems and the Mac blows everything else out of the water.

13. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

I followed a similar path from Windows to OS X. In 1998 I started running Linux for my home built NAS boxes and game servers. When OS X came out, I was curious but reluctant to make such a large investment. Finally, when Mac Mini came out in 2005ish I jumped, but I still kept Windows and Linux boxes around. I went "all in" starting in 2008 when I switched off my Windows XP notebook for the last time and started using a Macbook as my primary machine.

As for the apps gap closing, I'm not sure how long it will take. Sure there are new apps coming out all the time, but consumer apps are coming out at a faster pace than business apps. Part of the reason is that Apple slightly hurt themselves when they went from PPC to Intel and I think they slightly hurt themselves again by dropping Rosetta from Lion. Why slightly? Because I think that in the end, the OS X app store will win over developers who can easily pump out apps across Mobile and Desktop platforms with a single unified app store.

Catia, Solidworks, and Unigraphics are examples in the CAD space. Eventually, users browbeat IT departments to support the stuff they want to use. At my job, the "official" support is only available for blackberries but while "unsupported" everything works with my iPhone. I a feature fail to work with my iPad and when logging in remotely from my Mac at home. I called the help desk to complain and they said there wasn't anything they could do about it but a few weeks later the missing feature started working. A few weeks ago, I spotted one of our execs down in the lobby with a Macbook Air. I bet they don't tell him it's "unsupported." While it's only a matter of time for things to level out, for now the business app landscape is tilted in favor of Windows.

14. Nightarchaon macrumors 65816

Nightarchaon

except this is now not true , Windows 7 running on i5 or i7 hardware is just as stable as mac OS X
    Both features that Win 7 has delt with in different ways, that are just as slick if your used to them.

Thats not a mac + thats just your choice of mouse, and if its not staying connected via USB, your just pulling the cable out and should be more careful.

less malware, yes, registry makes no difference, there are other places for virus and malware writers to hide things, and unlike the registry which is a familiar folder structure, the hidden portions of MAC OSX are even less accessible to those not versed in the underlying unix OS is based on.

Again the registry is not a bad point here, both mac and PC applications, if written correctly, will uninstall and clean up after themselves, badly written applications on both platforms will not and will leave files and registry entries/pref files all over the show.
    windows scheduling, been using it for years to run batch files backups and other software. Same job, different name.

Err, your saying what is essentially a Command Prompt is a bonus ? again, not a plus point over an operating system that grew up from a command prompt ancestor.

Now finally you have a point, the apple OS is fantastic when you just want to sit down and get things done, you still really need Mr Gates to provide the office suite, but there are far less distractions to the MAC OS, and it uses its screen space much more effectively.

Windows 7 however has made leaps towards matching, if not beating this now.

i dont know about you, but i have set different wallpaper across my two screens at work, it does seem to be graphics card driver dependant, but thats what you get for having the choice to install whatever hardware you want.

as for caps lock, you do know there is a perfectly good caps lock key for turning that on and off on your keyboard ? you don't need a trip to the registry.

Love mag safe on my notebooks, should be a mandatory health and safety component, and the latchless opening is good , but not unique, toshiba had latchless laptops back in the 386 days (Libretto)

Same settings, different locations, i actually find the PC more flexible from a GUI standpoint, a lot of the more complex changes need a terminal visit on a MAC. But i will say, Windows 7 Vs MAC, MAC does tend to let you just get on with it, Windows 7 has a habit of choosing the exact setting you DONT want at a given time first time around when connecting to a wireless network.

There are a TON of things windows based PCs do that OS X Macs don't do as well, Compatibility with 99% of business products without virtualisation, ease of user replacement of parts if they fail, ease of user upgradeability of parts to increase even simple things like hard disk space (iMac), compatibly with 99% of the software market, Gaming.

What Mac OSX does better than anything else, is it delivers a user experience that works without faff, and doesn't look like the screen most of sit at all day at work everyday.

What the Mac hardware does is deliver a neat, overpriced package, that will work for three years, then apple says its out of date and expect you to stump up for a new one, or continue to use hardware it considers obsolete and is likely to drop support for any second.

I own a Macbook Pro , its the Best laptop i have ever owned, because i use windows 5 days a week for 9hrs a day on average ,i don't want to look at that when i am at home... I Intend to spend £2000 on an iMac as soon as this generation get past its 6months run so i can see what manufacturing problems apple have with it (never buy a gen 1 release of new apple hardware is a lesson i have learnt the hardway, failed MBP, failed Time Capsule, failed Iphone)

Would i recommend a Mac, hell yes, but not because its BETTER than windows or a PC, but because its a step away from all that computing you are exposed to at work all day everyday.

15. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

A few minor corrections...
    On the mouse issue: I am referring to a situation where my bluetooth mouse stops responding and plugging in a usb mouse doesn't help. I am NOT pulling the cord out and complaining about the OS. :rolleyes:

Capslock: I'm referring to the never ending quest to prevent that perfectly cursed key leftover from IBM Selectric typewriters interfering with my day to day work, not the ability to turn caps lock itself on or off. Who could possibly need to turn ON capslock, OTHER THAN SOMEBODY WHO WANTS TO SHOUT IN FORUMS? :D

Registry: There is nothing anyone can say to convince me the Windows registry has any merit technically or otherwise.

Network settings: I find it almost instantaneous to change network settings on my iThings and almost always more difficult and time consuming on Windows. Perhaps it's a matter of variability in network drivers but on the Dell, Acer and HP boxes I've played with recently it's pretty messy compared to OS X.

Wallpaper: I just tried it again and can confirm that Win 7 Enterprise running on a Dell E6400 with Nvidia graphics only allows one picture across both monitors. I guess you pointed out one of the biggest advantages of OS X: Unless you're a Hackintosh user, you can predict how it behaves.

Time Capsule: I too am the not so proud owner of a failed and replaced Time Capsule and after having all my data wind up in the landfill in Cupertino, I expanded my use of multiple backup strategies. But for quickly migrating to a new HDD or even a new Mac, the only thing that beats Time Machine is target disk mode.

Terminal: Let's not compare terminal with DOS. Terminal is there when you want it and invisible when you don't. Just bear in mind that not unlike Linux, many of the graphical elements in OSX are merely running shell scripts underneath. The idea of doing something useful in CMD with all its limitations is almost outlandish. Perhaps if you google for bash shell and bash shell scripting, you will begin to get a glimpse of the power of Terminal and bash scripting over something like a batch file.

Ease of replacement parts: I remember laughing at the little Japanese car dealerships in the 1970s. Where are people gonna get parts when they break? At that time, I doubt that anyone could wrap their heads around the concept that cars wouldn't need constant repairs. While car the playing field is more level today, I would have to give a clear edge to Apple in the area of reliability. I've owned 7 Macs. None have needed repair. The PC's they replaced had failed on average 18 to 24 months and needed constant attention like spoiled toddlers or untrained pets. Granted part of the reason is I used to "bottom feed" for PCs and often built my own. But I say the clear victor here, despite not being quite perfect, is Apple.

Equality? I can't bring myself to think of Win 7 and OS X as equal but I can understand they are "close enough" or we'd still be watching those funny Apple "Vista" commercials. Remember the last one in the series where the "PC" guy claimed "this time for sure!" and flipped down his glasses? Funny, but it turns out Win 7 was a huge improvement and is very close to OS X in stability and quality. In fact, I'd even go so far as to say that the differences are more related to Apple's strict control of hardware that gives OS X an edge when it comes to stability.

Lastly I must agree with you that the thing I like most about OS X is the relief from Win 7 all day at work. In fact, only this morning I had to "hold down power to reboot" my PC. In all fairness, it hasn't been all that long since I had to do the same thing on my Macbook (until I stopped using Firefox and started using Chrome). I had been blaming flash and sure it was eating CPU, but it was actually Firefox that was bringing my Macbook to its knees.

16. cheeseface thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all the great input , Nightarchaon's post did help me see the both end of the coin. I did end up getting a Macbook pro just because i found one cheap (thank god for second hand stuff). And i do miss the few configuration option (as i just like to fiddle with settings to see what they do haha), but mac does seem to be very straight forward and simple... Although i am a bit worried as i wont be able to fix it myself when it breaks down or something, but im sure google has the answer.

Anyhow, thanks for all your input on the matter.

17. SkaarjHunter macrumors newbie

So, why hasn't anyone mentioned the beautiful craftsmanship and style of modern Mac hardware?:p I haven't seen anything that great in the PC world. I started using business class laptops for durability, but I haven't seen any that are almost completely aluminum like the Macbook Pros...

You do pay a premium for Macs for their style and quality... and of course, the right to use OSX... But I would argue that it's worth it if you have the money.