just curious about mini displayport

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by cawesjmu, Dec 4, 2008.

1. cawesjmu macrumors 6502

Does anybody think if Apple adds a 30 inch LED display, similar to the new 24 inch, the new MB/MBP/MBA will be able to drive it? The unibody MB spec page says it can drive up to 2560x1600. If they can, does that mean the 30 incher wouldn't require dual dvi? I assume they would probably just shove the adapter inside the display? Does that adapter affect quality at all? How do they convert dvi to dual dvi?

2. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

More then likely not. They want you to spend another $100 to buy the Mini-DisplayPort Dual-Link DVI adapter on top of the 30" LED Cinema Display(if they ever release it). I can see the desktops now, all cluttered with wires, cables and adapters for something that should be "built-in" to the laptops. Kinda like the previous gen MBPs.

3. fathom macrumors newbie

I disagree with Orange. Almost definitely, any future 30 incher from Apple will have a mini-diplayport that can plug directly into the MB/MBP/MBA. Mini-displayport can power the 2560x1600 natively. There is no reason to convert to dual-link dvi. In fact, like the 24 incher from Apple, I wouldn't be surprised at all if they didn't even offer the possibility of using DVI.

4. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

They probably will make their ACD's glossy and put speakers and iSight cameras in there. Or just update the ACD, but make it matte, with an external iSight HD camera option. The mini DisplayPort will power a 30 inch though. No problems.