just curious about the new SSD option

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by ThirteenXIII, Aug 22, 2010.

1. ThirteenXIII macrumors 6502a

are the SSDs 3.5" or 2.5" with adapters in the 2010 MacPros?

I was looking into getting a MacPro and was curious on the adapters it used for the SSDs if any.

2. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

3. dissolve macrumors 6502a

I agree that the manual makes it seems that they are 2.5". For whatever reason, an Apple rep told me they ship with 3.5" drives...he/she may have been wrong. I know at least one person on here ordered one with an SSD so it'll be interesting to see when theirs arrives.

4. Woodgrove@macla macrumors newbie

"OWC Michael" said this: "If you purchased the Mac Pro without a factory installed SSD option, then you would need an adapter such as the Icy Dock to convert the 3.5″ bay to accept a 2.5″ SSD drive."

I guess they're using 3.5" drives. I plan to buy a 3.5" OCZ Vertex 2 SSD (their new ones) and use for Mac OS X and apps. My first idea was to use RAID 0 on 2 SSDs but apparently I can't use Windows then so I'll wait until I've solved that. I have a 2.5" Kingston 64 GB SSD that i want to use for Windows. I don't have an Icy Dock, but i have this one instead. Will it work just as good?

5. strausd macrumors 68030

They do ship with 3.5" drives, those are mechanical.

They are not using 3.5" SSDs, they are using 3.5" mechanical drives and 2.5" SSDs. From the manual, my understanding is that if you buy an SSD from Apple with your MP, it will ship with the SSD and a sled for 2.5" drives. They only give you a 2.5" sled if you order an SSD with the machine, that's my understanding at least.

6. dissolve macrumors 6502a

I know, I meant that the rep said 3.5" SSDs. That's why I was confused about the manual. I'm now thinking he may have just been misinformed.

7. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

I wonder if it's possible to purchase the 2.5" adapters from Apple. I checked their online store but they don't carry them.

8. strausd macrumors 68030

TransIntl has something that might be close.

9. reel2reel macrumors 6502a

reel2reel

10. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

I just browsed transintl. There RAID pro drive looks interesting. So that hooks up to only one slot?

But yea, I like the design of Apple's SSD carriers. Looks very secure. The Pro sled by TransIntl is quite open and exposed.

I just chatted with an Apple rep and they don't seem to sell their own 2.5 carrier adapters individually. Oh well.

+1!

11. strausd macrumors 68030

As far as I know, the Pro Drive only works in 2006-2008 models, no 2009 or 2010 :(

12. thagomizer macrumors 6502

ICY DOCK:

I have two of these and they are excellent. With these in the Mac Pro, you can leave the icy dock screwed into the aluminum sled, and insert/remove the SSD at any time without undoing any screws. Just pull out the sled, then the icy dock lid just slides out, then up, and the SSD is right there.

13. davidp158 macrumors member

14. HunterMaximus macrumors member

If you look at the pictures, that adaptor just mounts the SSD centred in the bay, which is fine for a standard PC bay, but won't work in anything with a backplane, like hotswap units or the Mac Pro. Your best bet is the IcyDock one.

15. davidp158 macrumors member

Aha! Thanks for the clarification.

16. xper macrumors 6502

xper