Just curious, did the iPhone have major OS issues at first launch?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by VoodooDaddy, Mar 28, 2009.

1. VoodooDaddy macrumors 65816

I didnt get one right away when they came out in June 07. I got one in Sept I think. But were there any serious glitches in the OS? I know there were issues with activation through iTunes, but aside from that any major problems?

2. iFerd macrumors 6502a

I don't remember running into any. I got mine about 4-5 days after the introduction, and I didn't have any trouble with activating through iTunes either.

3. VoodooDaddy thread starter macrumors 65816

Im asking this because as a BB Storm user (which I absolutely HATE btw), many people at the BB forums are saying the iPhone has major problems at launch. I dont remember hearing any, but I didnt get one right away either.

I do know the Storm is a total piece of crap, and after 4 months on the market its not any better than the day it came out.

4. ZiggyPastorius macrumors 68040

ZiggyPastorius

Why does it really matter, anyways? They aren't much better than the people who are like "OMG Macs are better because Vista was really bad when it was released." If it's working now, what does it matter? I'd say it had the usual "couple of issues" of a new release from Apple, but I don't remember complaints of anything major.

5. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Serious issues? Don't recall any.

However, the first software update was rushed out because a small group was threatening to release information about how to take over the phone via a Safari security hole.

Everyone was also sure that one of the first updates would contain Flash and/or MMS. Even Mossberg wrote that Flash was due in the first set of updates after launch.

6. bstreiff macrumors regular

The iPhone 3G had some issues relating to the amount of power it would request from cell towers or somesuch, which lead to essentially DDoSing the cell towers which in turn led to crappy 3G service. It got fixed in 2.0.1 or 2.0.2 (don't remember).

7. VoodooDaddy thread starter macrumors 65816

Id just like to know if they are full of ***** or where there issues that Im not aware of. I personally think they are full of *****.

8. ZiggyPastorius macrumors 68040

ZiggyPastorius

I just think the screen on their phones is full of made of **** :p

9. SFC Archer macrumors 68000

SFC Archer

I purchased my first $600 iPhone on iDay. My activation was successful and also that week I joined the Apple forums.

There were two major issues for about the first 2-3 weeks. First was activation. Some iPhones/Customers were have activation issues and some took up to 72 hours to activate.

The second issue was number porting which was taking up to 5 days for some to get their numbers ported and activate their phones.

Both issues were mainly AT&T issues and not Apple. AT&T was just not ready for the initial onslaught and was caught with their pants down.

The other usual bugs and user problems were prevalent in the Apple forums but nothing out of the ordinary.

Hope that answers your question.

10. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

I don't remember any issues back then, either. I got mine on iDay in '07.

In fact I remember my iPhone running BETTER back then, before the App Store. Back then Apple had absolute control over what you have on your phone.

I very much prefer the slight instability I have now than not having the App Store, though!

11. The Governor macrumors regular

The original iphone came out when? June 17th? You joined the forums a week later.....which was in November? I think your math might be a little off.

12. ZiggyPastorius macrumors 68040

ZiggyPastorius

He might be talking about the actual forums for apple.com, not macrumors. Could be wrong, though. He could consider "joining" as the day he started reading.

13. SFC Archer macrumors 68000

SFC Archer

Actually it was June 29th but I will give you the November...Duh....lol

Excusssssse ME! I apologize for being off on my dates. But I guess since you do not have any information to offer, you feel better by tearing minor posts apart out of shear boredom.

Thats okay things will become better for you someday:rolleyes:

And I was referring to APPLE FORUMS as I stated...NOT MR!

14. ichabodkky macrumors member

He joined the apple forums on iday and the macrumors forums in november. It didn't take much thought to come to that conclusion.

15. The Governor macrumors regular

Not sure about feeling better or anything, but you nailed the boredom part.

I can't wait

16. SFC Archer macrumors 68000

SFC Archer

17. eedna macrumors member

vista is still pretty bad, lol. (and im not a mac guy, i cant stand using OSX, ive been using xp media center since it was available.)

18. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

I had none but some had a LOT of safari crashes the first few days that I know