Just curious, why do we need the [app] tags?

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by ravenvii, Apr 20, 2009.

1. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Why do we need the [app] tags? Why need the LinktoApps thing at all? You could just right-click the app's name in iTunes and click "Copy iTunes Store URL", and paste it here or wrap it around with tags like any other link?

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Not sure what [app] tags you are referring to, but I sure would like to know when I'm about to click on an iTunes link.

3. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

So instead of typing [ app ]FlightControl[ /app ] you would rather go into iTunes, search, wait for the page to load? Right click, copy, paste, click.

I know I could use those few seconds saved to...well spy on MR Spy more.

4. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I didn't even know there was an [app] tag.

Anyway, just continue copying the URL of the song and pasting it. That's what most people do, I think.

5. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

arn has provided us with a few ways to use MacRumors' sister sites.

arn introduced the [app] tag in the LinktoApp.com App Store Linking Tool, New [app] Tag for Forums thread. The tag is handy for those of us who like taking the lazy approach when linking to iTunes Store applications.

For example, there was a favorable review of the Space Ninja game over at touchArcade today. If I want to link you to the game, I can type [app]Space Ninja[/app] and have it come out [app]Space Ninja[/app]. Easy as pi. :)

When I tell people about iPhone and iPod touch apps, I sometimes take an extra step, and give them a URL to AppShopper, e.g.,
    That way, they can read about the application and see screenshots and a price history without even launching iTunes. One click at AppShopper will take them to the application in the iTunes Store.