Just Curious...

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by mrobison, Sep 18, 2007.

1. mrobison macrumors member

Hey, I bought a new iMac a few weeks ago, and was planning on buying an iphone in Jan. or Feb. expecting an update later on...but today I got an email from apple with a $30 discount on any order over $300. Would I be better off to wait, or go ahead and get it before the coupon expires on 9/29?

Also, I'm currently on AT&T, but the phone I have I got in February of this year, what type of charges will I incur if I do get an iphone and replace my existing phone?

2. unity macrumors 6502a

Well its up to you, $30 is $30. If capacity is an issue at 8GB, I would wait otherwise spend!

As for ATT, they *may* extend your contract another two years, so you would really end up under a 3 year (approx) contract. Existing contract + 2 yrs.

3. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

I'm pretty sure that if the OP is an existing AT&T customer, that activating the iPhone will only restart the 2-year period from the date of activation. So it's not extending the original contract, rather, restarting it. IIRC.

4. mrobison thread starter macrumors member

yeah, everything I've looked at says it just restarts my two year contract. And since I'm on a family plan do theirs increase too? Capacity isn't really an option since I carry my ipod in the first place, I'm just more worried about my $400 (or $370) phone being virtually obsolete in two months. (!)

5. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

No, it should only impact the exact line (or if you want to think of it in terms of that particular phone number).

6. unity macrumors 6502a

You may be right. I now recall people singing up for ATT just days before the release to get the free phone deals to use as backups or sell on eBay as new.

But I am sure, if thats the way it is, that this is an iPhone only exception. When I worked for Cingular the contract period got added onto the existing. If you think about it, one could stop in every day to get a free phone if they signed a new contract and it will only be extended one more day.

Make sense?