Just curious...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by jnette, Jan 14, 2008.

1. jnette macrumors member

Would my old clamshell SE (OSX 10.4.11) be able to handle the Foxfire browser?

I've been thinking about installing it but don't want to chance messing anything up so I thought I had better check with you all first.

Appreciate any feedback ! :)

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

it might. if you load it with extensions though then it might have more issues. if its running 10.4 though, i'd say you could try it.

camino is a bit lighter and might be worth trying if FF doesn't work.

3. jnette thread starter macrumors member

Thank you. :)

And if I decide to go to back to the default browser, how would I do that?

4. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Oddly enough, the choice of default browser is set in Safari's preferences.

5. jnette thread starter macrumors member

Meaning what ? :confused:

That if I switch to a different browser and then want to return to Safari default at some point, I won't be able to? :(

That's pretty much what I need to know before I switch.. want to make sure I can go back to Safari if I need or wish to. And if so, how ?

Thanks ! :)

6. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Well you wouldn't uninstall Safari. You'd just use the other browser (Firefox) and set it as default in Safari's preferences. That way any action that requires access to a web page (such as clicking on a web link in your e-mail program) will know to launch Firefox instead of Safari.

Safari will then remain, unused, on your system. Should you ever wish to switch back and make Safari your default browser again, launch Safari and head into its Preferences and pick "Safari" as your default browser once again.

7. jnette thread starter macrumors member

Got it. OK.. so I downloaded Firefox, and now I need to know how to OPEN it.. as there is no "default" application with which to open it. It says "other" then gives me a list.. but I don't know what I am to use to open the
    setup.exe file and get this up and running... ???

8. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Sounds like you downloaded the Windows version..be sure to get the Mac version. It will be a .dmg file that expands to a "mounted" drive. Once that's open, drag Firefox from there to your Applications folder. Then "eject" the drive and delete the .dmg file.