Just damaged my MBP outer casing. Lid won't close. What to do?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by vialli25, Jul 15, 2009.

1. vialli25 macrumors newbie

Hi

I was installing some new shelves in my bedroom and the unthinkable happened. One of them fell while I was screwing it in straight onto my MBP.

It has damaged the front part of MBP. Now it is impossible to shut the lid on it. Has also made a small dent near the power button.

Does anybody have a clue how much Apple will charge to repair this??

http://twitpic.com/ag64l

2. Buskape macrumors 6502

Buskape

This looks like it's going to be quite expensive to fix, their gonna have to replace the whole bottom case.. :(

If you have an Apple store closeby, you could see a Genius and ask him how much it would cost, my rough guess would be around 400-600$..

3. vialli25 thread starter macrumors newbie

I do have one very close by, but wanted to see what you guys thought before driving all the way there.

I'm in the UK, so I'm guessing that would be about £250-£500 based on what you've said. Bit pointless really, might as well buy a brand new one!

I'll be claiming on the household contents insurance anyway so I'll see what both Apple and the insurance people have to say.

4. 1ne macrumors regular

5. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

6. aprofetto macrumors 6502a

aprofetto

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

ouch - that really bites.

bummers man, try googling/ebay to find an external case and do the repair yourself.

8. iGary Guest

iGary

The upper and lower case, if you buy them yourself from ifixit.com, will run you about $500.00

If you have Apple do it, expect around $1200.00 from my experience.

9. lixuelai macrumors 6502a

Disassemble it and try to mold the aluminum back into their original positions. The aluminum is rather soft, should not be hard.

10. vialli25 thread starter macrumors newbie

No point in trying myself, if it's going to cost as much as some of you believe then I will hopefully just get a new one on my house insurance! £100 excess charge, but who's going to moan about £100 for a brand new MBP??