Just Darwin BSD 10

Discussion in 'macOS' started by seepel, Jan 31, 2010.

1. seepel macrumors 6502

seepel

I'm interested in running a Darwin OS, basically just the open source parts of Mac OS X. There isn't a whole lot of recent information that I've been able to find on my own. Seems like most sources top out at Darwin 8. If anyone could point me to some recent information that would help me with this I'd be much appreciative!

2. cjmillsnun macrumors 68020

I think you need to compile it...

http://developer.apple.com/opensource/index.html

3. larkost macrumors 6502a

It is a bit more than that. I am not entirely sure that there is a way of building a valid darwin environment any more. Apple seems to have lost interest in providing this service when they found that almost no-one was using it. There was a (very small) community around this, but I was not able to find any life in it when I looked a while ago.

4. psxtreme macrumors member

You'll want to check out the puredarwin project, which strives to be a community supported continuation of the now-defunct Opendarwin. http://www.puredarwin.org/

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Why not run a linux flavor, like fedora or ubuntu?

If you're just running darwin, you'll not have Quartz, cocoa, carbon, or any of the other subsystems that make OSX great

6. seepel thread starter macrumors 6502

seepel

Thanks for the tip on puredarwin. I wasn't aware of it and it looks like my best bet so far.

I want to do this mostly out of curiosity and I'm interested in getting it up and booted on Mac hardware without having to do anything funky, which is why I'd like to steer away from linux.

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Ubuntu installs quite easily and problem free w/o doing anything funky. It not only allows easy installation you get a desktop manage, Gnome or KDE that works well.

8. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

I'm not willing to bet on it, but I'm guessing that the OP is already aware of Linux.

To answer the OP's question, anyone interested in Darwin should go here.